“Authentic and unpretentious Cantonese food”

Hong Kong Restaurant
Ranked #178 of 386 Restaurants in Palo Alto
Reviewed 27 October 2015

There are many Chinese restaurants in the area... from different regions in China. I grew up in Chinatown eating simple family style Cantonese meals . Hong Kong is the epitome of the type of food I grew up with ....from steamed pork patties with salted fish to off the menu items like fresh Chinese vegetables. One menu offers the simple and authentic , while another menu features delicious banquet style dining. Chinese families are known to book their New Year's celebrations at Hong Kong weeks in advance. "Jook" (rice porridge) is only served on weekends . This is the only Cantonese restaurant to which my family and I go .

2  Thank Sharon L

Reviewed 25 October 2015

At a family dinner we ordered the fish fillet with snow peas, deep fried crab, spinach, pork with sour cabbage, chicken fried rice, won ton soup, mongolian steak, beef stew, noodles with chicken and bak chou. There was more than enough food for the group of nine, leftovers to take home. The won ton soup was very tasty, as was the fish fillet dish. The restaurant provided complimentary soup and dessert- tapioca pudding. Its a small parking lot so best to reserve early.

Reviewed 6 July 2015 via mobile

The dishes were good. Look at the bill, I don't think anyone can figure out whether they have overcharged you because it is like a physician's prescription. I was completely pissed off by the server who charged me for 3.5 pounds of of fish that is no more than 2 pounds. First of all, she told me that the fish is about two pounds. I ordered one, without showing me the fish, which is a tradition, the small amount of fish did not sound any alarm. But when I got the bill, I was shocked. I argued with them and finally lowered the weight to 2.5 pounds. It would have been a good dinner. I am really appalled by their actions. Avoid this place.

Reviewed 30 March 2015

I give it one star for the food. The tall, slim, and old-looking cantonese waiter was EXTREMELY rude. He is the guy that doesn't wear glasses. The waiter never smiles, and give me the ATTITUDE every time I tried to ask for drink, bills, etc. When I ask him what kind of drink do they serve, he goes: only cola or spirit. Do you want it or not? with a super impatient look on his face.

In the whole dinning process, he has never come and asked me if I need anything, and there was no complimentary soup, or the sweet dessert as provided to other customers in the restaurant. Maybe he was assuming as a single lady who visited the restaurant alone, I don't worth his attention at all.

Never in my life have I left no tip for a waiter. Therefore, I left him 40 cents after the meal since he did bring food to the table.

Reviewed 17 March 2015

Have been here for several time with family, portion are big for the price, taste are
authenticly Cantonese. Staffs and owner are both friendly and attentive.