All reviews great hosts other guests within walking distance each morning small kitchen citrus trees restaurants and shops downtown palm springs new owners continental breakfast close to downtown king bed love this place boutique hotel larry pool mountains
Reviewed 31 March 2018

I stayed at Old Ranch Inn for 5 nights while attending a conference in Palm Springs and would absolutely not hesitate to stay there again. I’d never been to the city before and spent many days gathering information on various hotels in area: price, hotel size, distance from the Convention Center, customer reviews, examining hotel neighbourhoods through Google Earth and Street View, looking at promotional photographs of hotel rooms and property, and so on, and Old Ranch Inn rose to the top of my list. It proved to be a perfect choice for me.

It was necessary for me to stay in two different rooms (#1 and #8) because I was unable to obtain a single room that was available for the duration, but that wasn’t an issue. The main door of the first opened to the pool, with a side door opening to a semi-private patio / table; the side door to the second opened to a patio table close to the outdoor breakfast nook. Both rooms were large and lovely (the second was especially large). The unique character of each room and hotel in general appealed to me, more like home than that the impersonal and often sterile feel of a large or chain hotel. This small boutique hotel with its 8 rooms is quiet, located in a low-profile semi-residential neighbourhood, just 2 blocks from the base of a mountain.

Each room is equipped with a Keurig coffee maker so I was able to start my mornings with a fine cup of coffee. The hotel serves a great continental breakfast. One morning, I found a grapefruit at the top of the basket of oranges and it wasn’t until the next day that I noticed the grapefruit tree beside the pool. Can’t get fresher than that (and a thrill for those of us from northern climates to have tree-ripened produce). But my favourite part of breakfast was the sparrows. (I’m quite fond of sparrows and squirrels). They had my number, flocking in the tree beside my table when I sat down, waiting for a few muffin crumbs to be tossed to the ground.

Finally, the hotel has excellent and warm staff and owner. I planned my evening meals by always asking for recommendations and directions, and without fail enjoyed scrumptious dinners. I was told of special events like the regular Thursday evening “Village Fest” street closure that I was glad to have not missed, and where to find trail heads and various shops. Their hospitality extended to personalized transport from/to the airport.

If I am ever to visit Palm Springs again, I will certainly look to stay with the Old Ranch Inn again and will be recommending it to any of my work colleagues who might have to travel there in the future.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank VicTornX
Reviewed 7 March 2018

We enjoyed ourselves so much at the Old Ranch Inn. Location is an easy walk to Palm Canyon Road and all it's shops and restaurants yet very quiet and tranquil. Rosie, as we remembered, will make your stay very pleasant and she's very eager to make sure you're comfortable. Continental breakfast served between 8 - 10 in the courtyard. Great way to start the day. Bed very comfortable, great shower and plush absorbant towels.

We saw some recent reviews about how flat the pillows were and not very comfortable. I had emailed asking for 2 pillows for each of us forgetting that each guest would get 2. When we arrived there were the 4 pillows for the 2 of us, plus the extra 2 we had requested. When we opened the closet to hang up our clothes, there were 2 more!! 8 pillows - some flat, some plush. I prefer the ones that seem flatter since those are better for my bad neck. We could not have slept any better!!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bklynguy
Reviewed 10 February 2018

Although we loved a lot about this inn, there is always room for improvement. We were in one of the 2 larger units off the entrance,with a large living room, bedroom, kitchenette, spacious bathroom with a good sized vanity. The carpeting looked almost brand new, and the bath towels were wonderful. The 9 room inn is completely enclosed by a wall, and there is a courtyard with a pool and a breakfast area in the center that many of the rooms face. Easy walking distance to the heart of downtown.
We hated the firm, flat pillows - no resilience, but luckily I read another review and knew to bring our own. No good reading light. A mish mash of old, traditional furniture but it was comfortable and the room has "charm: if you like that. I would like a towel hook by the vanity for hand towels and large towel rods to hang the bath towels on to dry. And like most hotels, only one luggage rack for the customary couple each with their own suitcase. But overall it was a great stay. We could see a nearby mountain out the front door.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
2  Thank txmeg
Reviewed 28 January 2018

We stayed 2 nights in January in a king room facing the pool. The room was attractive and clean. We loved the location of the inn, which is walking distance from restaurants and shops on Palm Canyon Drive, in a quiet neighborhood nestled against the lovely mountains. We also liked the room amenities, which included a flat screen TV and a kitchenette with refrigerator and coffeemaker. The continental breakfast was basic (cereals and yogurt, but no extras such as hardboiled eggs or waffles), but seating was limited and there is no indoor seating available for inclement weather. Cons: The mattress was hard and the pillows uncomfortable. In the bathroom, the soap bars for the shower were too small, did not lather, and were not replenished for the second night, and the towels were thin, worn, and dingy (failings which we thought were incompatible with the cost of the room). Also, the office closes at 5:00 PM, so one has to make special arrangements for check-in after that time and there is no one on the premises at night.

Room Tip: All seem nice
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RoadTrippers500
Reviewed 11 January 2018

We had Suite 1 with a fireplace, private patio, a big king bed and plenty of space to spread out. The hotel is charming with friendly staff, and walking distance to the Museum, downtown and Shermans Deli.
Can't wait to go back.