“Not bad”

Ranked #60 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Raleigh, North Carolina
“Not bad”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We were assigned this hotel on Hotwire and just wanted a place to stay in Palm Springs after a long day of flying across the country. Look, the rooms are a little dated, but they were clean, no offensive smells, no bedbugs, and quiet for that matter. When we got there in the afternoon we went out to the pool area and had a few overpriced beers ($5 for a bud I think) but the pool looked quite nice. Anyways, I slept good that night and we were off to the desert the next morning!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Eldridge, Iowa
Reviewed 18 March 2012 via mobile

Our 2 bedroom/1 bath villa was a good place to stay for a week. We had a kitchen, dining area, patio area with 3 chairs, 3 tvs, and a great pool area. I would not say that this is a five-star resort. If you want that sort of resort, maybe go to Indian Wells, but if you want a family-friendly clean, comfortable, condo for an extended stay in Palm Springs, this is a good choice. Our room faced the pool on the ground floor. There was lots of activity, but that did not bother us. Resort provided pool towels, shampoo, conditioner, and lotion, housekeeping if wanted, plenty of clean towels, and kitchen amenities. We had a frozen pizza one night, made guacamole twice, and had breakfast every day in our unit. We had all the kitchen utensils needed for our one week stay. The bed was very comfortable with a pillow top mattress. We had our own sink in the master bedroom. We had a king sized bed in one room, a queen sized bed in the second bedroom, and a pullout sofa bed in the living room. Sliding doors led to a patio off the living room. Some appliances/electronics may not have been technologically state of the art, but we are on vacation. We had wifi, cable tv and would stay here again. I booked through Expedia and feel that we had a good value for our money. I recommend for families looking for room to spread out and stay in a unit rather than a hotel room with two queen beds. After reading some of these reviews on Trip Advisor, I was not sure what to expect at Palm Canyon Resort, but I would stay again, and recommend it to other like minded travelers. The pool is the star here! It is big, clean, and well-maintained. It was open from 8 am to 10 pm. There is also a pool side bar/grill that serves food and drink during those same hours. We didn't use it but it is a nice service provided. There are also planned activities provided free every day, such as a desert hike, ping pong tournament, volleyball, and many others. There is a basketball court and fitness room available, too, at no extra cost. We did not use either of these either, as we were usually gone during the day. I really liked the location of this resort, right on the south end of town. I went on a walk one morning, and the neighborhood is great for walking, having sidewalks everywhere.

Stayed March 2012
1 Thank joaniemaria
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 10 March 2012

Ok, so this my second time staying at Palm Canyon resorts in Palm Springs. The first time was a learning experience, and wasn’t much of a bad trip (loud noises, and hot Palm Springs summer days). It had been almost a year earlier since I have stayed here last. The last time I stayed here the front desk representative said they were remodeling the rooms. So it was food for thought for a second trip. Now the second time was a total waste of money and time. I never knew of a place that could be so tacky and cheap after a remodel in a city that’s surrounded by nice resorts. They care more about the outside appearance of the resorts than the rooms and guests.
My villa itself was small and super outdated and very dark. It felt as if I was trapped in some awful episode of Miami Vice. Upon entering the villa the smell of stale air filled the room. I’m guessing the house keeping staff feels that since there isn’t anyone in the rooms there isn’t a need to keep them fresh smelling? Since the smell of the last guests was left to fill the air in the room, this is where this review began to take shape. Mind you this is a remodeled room. One half of the villa was so dimly lit I had to remove the lampshade to light up the rest of the room. Who stays in these rooms sub terrain mole people? No to mention I was sandwiched on a floor with families with kids complaining and making noise in the middle of the night. It’s a common thing when at a resort but still worth mentioning. But thanks for the false fire alarms that went on for about a half an hour that’s not so common.
The bed in the villa was ok until it happened. (Keep reading and see what happened). For a remodel the villa seemed super old and out dated in a modern age. This room was filled with outdated appliances and faucets, and a very old pre millennium standard definition TV. The TV was a joke. Yes I’m reviewing the TV too. It was one of the older fat standard definition models with inadequate ports. You earn pretty good money at this place and there is packing tape with the word “good” written on it stuck to the top of my TV like was from a second hand store in my villa. The set didn’t even have a HDMI port (its 2012 is pretty common port these days) so much for using my laptop for Netflix. Ok now on to what had me really write this review. My villa has the most disgusting to wake up to, SOMEONE ELSES USED BAND AID WAS IN THE BED AND STUCK MY CHEEK!!!! So now I know the maids and housekeeping staff don’t clean anything. There were long hairs all over the villa; it wouldn’t be a problem if I had long hairs myself. I don’t I am bald. I would have been better off staying at a motel 6. Ok I’m reasonable, I pay good money for things and I’d expect a room with clean sheets at least. This is a resort with the worst customer service, in history. After a rude 6 am wake up to a possible hepatitis scare I called the front staff and alerted them and requested management. I called down and was told a manager wasn’t in, which was odd to not have management on duty for a resort. Four hours later I go down to the front desk only to get offered a dining certificate. Are you serious?? A dining certificate this isn’t a suitable fix for all the problems that were wrong with this room. Fine I take the certificate and they said they would send housekeeping back up to clean the bathroom and change the sheets. I’m gone about a hour and a half and surprise it was absolutely the same sort of. Most of the visible hairs were picked up the villa stopped smelling like the last guests and then sheets were changed so I thought. There were stains on the pillow cases. How did you manage that when you’re the one making the beds? I wondered. Once again I'm back on the phone calling housekeeping and looking for management. This resort isn’t worth staying at let alone being used as a timeshare. So my three day weekend was a wasted due to bad housekeeping staff and overall bad management. With all the other resorts around in Palm Springs, I’ll be sure to use Yelp and trip advisor to find better places to stay in the future. Be warned this is a awful place to vacation at even for a short weekend. You’re better off at some other boutique resort, or just skip Palm Springs all together.

Room Tip: Here's a tip, don't stay here. unless you really love mediocre rooms and poor service. Stay...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Terrence O

Travellers are raving about these Palm Springs hotels

West Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We had been planning our trip from Canada there for 6 months and have to say that it was very disappointing!!
The outside is very deceiving because once you get into the building it is very grungy and outdated. We were staying in a two bedroom villa and when we opened the door all we could smell was urine so we immediately phoned the front desk and asked to be moved - which they did.
The kitchen was barely stocked and actually missing things from a set of six so we had to phone the front desk to let them know so we wouldn't be charged for the items. I have to say the only good thing about the suite is that the beds were comfortable but everything else was the cheapeast quality.....
The pool was very nice but nowhere on the web site does it say that there is a height restriction for the slides and travelling with my kids it would've been nice to know! They claim you can't go on the big slide unless you're 48inches and measure you with an old broom stick - my kids were both too short to go on it which was bizarre seeing as we had just come from Disneyland and they were tall enough there?? When I let them know that they responded by asking me if I'd like them to measure the stick...not very friendly!
I would definitley never stay there again nor would I recommend it to anyone...

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Rae F
San Diego, California
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Let me start by saying to the only reason we stayed at Palm Canyon Resort because my mother in law has a timeshare there. We had visited my mother in law there once before, so we kind of knew what to expect.

We arrived late at night on our first day, and were placed in a room that had not yet been cleaned by housekeeping - in fact, the room was absolutely disgusting. The manager was kind enough to upgrade us to a 1 bedroom suite because of the mix up, which definitely made our day... Like most of Palm Springs, this hotel is rather dated - the furniture was all pastel pink and the phone had a dial up internet jack on the side - I couldn't help but laugh when I saw that! Don't expect wifi here either - in fact, your cell phone won't even work - my husband and I had horrible reception for the entire stay... if you wanted to use the internet you had to go into the main office and pay to use the internet there or walk down the street with your smartphone until you were away from the resort... Really??

What is the hotel's saving grace is the pool complex. We had our son with us and he loved the pool slides!! The bar / restaurant out by the pool was also a really nice perk. I took advantage of the spa as well & got a facial, though it was very expensive.

The hotel did have a lot of activities to choose from on various days of the week, though we chose not to. The hotel itself is located close to downtown Palm Springs so you are close to restaurants, shopping and all the rest.

• Stayed January 2012