“Excellent updated motel”

Caliente Tropics Resort
Ranked #43 of 73 Hotels in Palm Springs
Reviewed 14 February 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights after reading the reviews and would agree with most of them after our nice stay. Have realistic expectations of what you get for $75 in Palm Springs during high season and you'll be more than happy. Rooms were large, clean but generally a bit dated/basic. The AC/heating unit was from the 70's and kept cutting out when we needed some heat but it wasn't a huge problem. Shower was primitive but worked great, best of our 10 day trip. Location OK, ample parking, nice theme and cool lobby. Would stay again for a budget option in a very expensive area.

Room Tip: Upper floor to avoid the inevitable sounds from guests above
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barnsey1984
There are newer reviews for Caliente Tropics Resort

Reviewed 7 February 2012

Check in was easy, friendly and competent. Room was clean, with a super comfy bed and ersatz tiki theme. They have updated this old time motel with a fun and funky vibe. Huge pool would have been fab if I had brought a suit. Location is a mile or so from the strip with hundreds of restaurants and shops. Downtown Palm Springs looked kind of beleagured at first, but it grew on me. Friendly service and great meals made this business stop somewhere I would return to, especially if I was looking for some home decor. There was a designer/decor/decorating/gallery type shop on every block.

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 5 February 2012

The only good part, Beds Comfy, Staff Nice. We booked the Deluxe
room with view of pool and has a "Lanai" The Lanai was at the pool
not outside room as I understood. We had 2 towels and washcloths
and shared a facetowel. No soap, only 1 cup,1 glass and NO ice bucket. It took 2 hours to get this after calling twice to front desk. The lobby looked like an old restaurant with 2 desks Our room that was to look over pool looked over parking lot, with the steps coming up in front of our room so noisy with traffic, room vibrated when people ran up steps and on balcony. It looks like they have rejuventated the room but the exterior was dirty, as well as the grounds. We left after one night had booked for 3 nights. May be ok for families but not for those who want a nice place with comfort. I will not recommend to
anyone.

Room Tip: Do not bother with the Deluxe rooms. I doubt if any different.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank 615Judy
Reviewed 3 February 2012

I stayed here recently on a Saturday night when damaging winds tore through the entire area, and although there were hiccups during my stay, overall I was satisfied with the hotel and my stay.

For the price I paid (in the $70 dollar range with taxes) and just taking a look at the website, I honestly wasn't expecting much except for a tired looking motel. But, it is going through a renovation, and I hope it continues; There are lots of areas that would be great for guests to access and mingle in if only they had the opportunity to.

The colors in the room were warm and rich, and the decor inside fit the aesthetic perfectly without being too over the top and cheesy. The TVs are still analog, surprisingly. The bath amenities were quite lovely, though!

Because of the chaos the wind was bringing forth, I did not have any television reception or wi-fi signal for several hours. I had to resolve an issue with missing towels in my room upon checking in, and I saw the manager on the phone trying to get these issues sorted, which I'm sure everyone in town was trying to do, too. I eventually was able to watch TV and access wi-fi later in the evening.

The hotel is located at "the bend" of Palm Canyon/Highway 111, so it's not exactly walkable to all the action, but the drive is very short. It's also very close if you are heading to the Agua Caliente Indian Canyons (which were unfortunately closed due to the wind damage and clean-up).

Another plus is that the property is on the same side of the street as trendy Ace Hotel, separated only by a Motel 6 between them. At more than half the price of a similar room at The Ace Hotel, I would consider Caliente Tropics Resort as a great substitute, and I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 February 2012

We stayed at the Caliente in early January and paid just over $80 a night. Our room was large by any standard (Lanaii King room) on the second floor closer to the back of the motel. My memory of the room is the king size bed and how ridiculously comfortable it was. I really don't think it was a special mattress but it was like sleeping in the reverse of what you would experience in Mexico ( the concrete mattresses). The room was nicely cleaned every day at a consistent time and we were always happy to return to it after a day of exploring Palm Springs. Nothing fancy but very comfortable for our seven day stay.
The motel as a `resort` lacks any real guest service and is odd in this respect. The registration building is large and looks like it was once a hot spot complete with with lounge and nightclub of some type. It is all empty and the resort has no restaurant services. A highlight of the motel is the picturesque pool which is very large and really very nicely landscaped . You also have a very nice view of the San Jacinto mountains from the pool area.
The Caliente Resort motel is on East Palm Canyon Drive which rmeans you will walk about twenty minutes to get to the central part of Palm Springs. We are walkers so this was not a problem. We walked the Tahquiz Canyon which has a great waterfall at the end of it (about a fifteen minute walk from the motel) and we enjoyed the local restaurants.

There is truly something lovely about Palm Springs in the winter. The air is fresh and the sky is blue. Nights are starry thanks to how lowly lit the city is. If you are looking for the desert experience that is laid back ( like going to the opposite of Las Vegas) then Palm Springs is a great choice. If you are reasonably active, The Caliente is a good homebase to relax at while you check out this relaxed city. (Also, if you can, check out Joshua Tree National Park for a really special desert experience)

Room Tip: Second floor!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple