All reviews garden room family style dinner fire pit complimentary sangria communal dinner art books french press coffee frozen grapes private patio walls are very thin other guests hot tub yogurt fresh towels an oasis in the desert hard boiled eggs boutique hotel
Reviewed 8 October 2018

The do 2 family style dinners here during the week, chicken on Wednesday and steak on Fridays. We've been here twice for steak night and both times it was a super fun experience and the food was very good. The menu is prix fix and there are 4 courses. The meal is served at a very long table, it feels a bit like a dinner party or wedding. They serve groups of 4 large dishes of food to share from as well as wine pairings. This is not an intimate dinner and may not be for everyone, you definitely interact with the folks sitting around you. We've met some very interesting fun people during our meals here. The reservations fill up weeks and sometimes months in advance especially during high season, so it's must to plan ahead. They save a certain number of seats for hotel guests. They also do a lunch here which we haven't tried yet, but I've heard its also very good.

Room tip: I've never stayed here but the hotel looks amazing.
Date of stay: February 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 September 2018

This is a really memorable unique motel, with large rooms, friendly staff, and a nice swimming pool. But there are aspects of the place that prevent it from deserving a 5-star rating: (1) The floors are made of 3 foot square concrete slabs. These slabs are separated by 1 inch gaps which are filled in with 3/4 inch smooth stones rather than simply grout. The result is that when one walks across the floor barefoot or in socks, the stones are somewhat uncomfortable, even when walking on a throw rug. (2) The floor of the shower is made completely of small smooth stones. (3) The rooms are dark, with about 8 different light switches, none of which provides a customary level of illumination. (4) There are no TV sets. (5) The blanket is a little too small for the bed.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2018

I booked through Expedia at this hotel and just 2 weeks before my arrival, THEY cancelled on me. I now have to find another hotel to stay at. This is HORRIBLE guest service. When I tried to speak to them, they kept interrupting me and when I got upset, they disregarded anything I had to say! I have stayed at 5 star resorts from Thailand to Caribbean and have never had a hotel do this to me ever! Complete disappointment!

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 September 2018

I felt like I was really away from it all - a true retreat in every sense. Staff is lovely, the grounds are gorgeous, room is a haven.

Not one bad thing to say about Sparrows, it is a perfect place to shut out the world. No kids and no party vibe, meant total quiet and peaceful relaxation.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank ElleBe_LA
JackieM3205, General Manager at Sparrows Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 September 2018

Hi ElleBe_LA,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review!! It's really guests like you that help create the lodge a haven!

Best,
Jackie

Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

We visited this place on a trip along the US- westcoast. Unfortunately we only got to stay one night. As we walked in through the front room, right to the pool area it felt like walking into paradise. This place is so peaceful! As we visited in September not too many people were staying there which made it even better. The food we had was really good and the best breakfast we had on the entire trip! The pool was amazing and the room was so nicely decorated... I still can’t believe we stayed only one night, on our next visit we will definitely stay longer :)

Hello Izzyizz,

Wow!! Such great feedback! We truly appreciate all your kind words and glad the lodge was a paradise for you.

Jackie