“Everything I wanted and more”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Korakia Pensione

Korakia Pensione
Ranked #33 of 71 Hotels in Palm Springs
Los Angeles, California
“Everything I wanted and more”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

I can't say enough about Korakia. I am a VERY picky traveler, and considering the price level of this hotel I had high expectations, and it did more than meet all of them. It is a wondrous place to escape, every where you look there are romantic coves to sit with your loved one, or by yourself with a book. The hotel was full when we were there but it felt so spacious didn't feel crowded at all. It is a very quiet atmosphere, no partying, no one talking on cell phones, in fact my friend and I found ourselves whispering while we were by the pool to maintain the peaceful atmosphere. Great service, beautiful landscaping, yummy breakfasts, and just 3 short blocks to town. Love this place.

Room Tip: We were in a lower priced room Byzantium - and it was lovely.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Anaheim, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

My husband and I spent two amazing nights at this beautiful hotel, and i must say i never wanted to leave. It was the most relaxing and romantic two days. The property is gorgeous from the outside waterfall to the poolside fire-pits. We stayed in the Bedouin Suite, which was amazing with a huge stone bath tub with steps leading out to our own private patio. Breakfast was delicious! The Staff was wonderful, my husband and i were lounging outside by the waterfall the last night of our stay and it was a little chilly and one of the girls came out, and asked if we would like a blanket or a cup of coffee...it was so sweet and the perfect touch! My husband and i loved every second of our stay and we would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a quiet relaxing vacation.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Mill Valley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2012

I have been staying at the Korakia Pensione since 1996, and it is simply the most unique, poetic and beautiful hotel I've ever encountered. It is almost as though an alternative universe was created by the original owner, Doug --a romantic, dreamy oasis reminiscent of Tangier in the 1930s. Every time I visit the Korakia, I feel I've been transported to an exotic land without the expense and hassle of plane rides or passports.

I have stayed in almost all the rooms and suites at one time or another, and each one of them is memorable in its own way and an essential part of creating the dream that is the Korakia. I adored staying in the Nomad Suite for my birthday, and the incredibly romantic Nash House one memorable Christmas.

The decor is a delight to the senses, full of rustic charm with slate, tile, wood, deep soaking tubs and fireplaces. The beds are large and comfortable, with billowy coverlets, featherbeds and soft pillows. I think the prices are a great value for the caliber of the experience, and also for the typical price of staying in this exclusive and charming neighborhood, the Historic Tennis Club area of Palm Springs. Other hotels in the area are more expensive and deliver much less. I have stayed at the Coyote Inn, Casa Cody, Orbit In, Del Marcos, the Ingleside and the Viceroy, and though I appreciate them, I always prefer to stay at the Korakia when I can.

During a typical day the air is awash with the fragrance of citrus blossoms, and at night the moonlight over the mountain range is stunningly beautiful. I love to catch up on my reading by the pools. I appreciate the many books available in the library and scattered throughout the property. I feel totally safe here, and walking around the whole area for that matter, at any time of night. It is a calm, beautiful oasis that brings back the feeling of what Palm Springs used to be way back when...

I would recommend this hotel to everyone in every season. It is a complete delight.

Room Tip: I have really enjoyed every room I have stayed in, from the small Atlas Room right off the Moroccan...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank trishthedish100
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

No room service, no large-screen television, no television, no poolside service, no mixed drinks with umbrellas, no gambling, no pressures. A blissful experience if you want a unique ambiance, caring staff, total relaxation, and an oasis of calm.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Seattle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012

My partner and I take only a few vacations a year, so we try to thoroughly research hotels to maximize our enjoyment. We didn't want a cookie-cutter chain hotel experience, and we certainly got that at the Korakia. We stayed in the Moroccan main section, which I think is the more ambient and lovely part of the hotel. When you're lounging at the pool, you really feel like you're somewhere exotic in the middle east, and that was a great experience. We felt we had two vacations in one! I also loved the grounds at night, lit by fires and candles, and swimming in the lovely heated saltwater pool.

But having stayed there, I now understand all the ambivalent reviews about this place. If the rates were lower, people would have different expectations, but for the premium prices, people generally expect more for their money. While our room was charming and quaint, it definitely needed some TLC. As other reviews mentioned, our king-sized bed was made up of two not very supportive twin beds pushed together and topped with a feather mattress. It didn't make snuggling time the best experience, and I was a bit achy waking up in the mornings from the unsupportive mattress. While our room was big enough for a sitting area, there was no couch or comfortable armchair to relax and read a book. We ended up pulling in some of the outdoor furniture from the terrace to make an impromptu seating area - otherwise the bed would've been the only place to sit down. The hotel advertises that most rooms have kitchenettes, which is what we wanted since we were planning on making light meals in our room. Unfortunately, the kitchen was completely unstocked save for two plates, cups, forks/spoons. We called down for some kitchen supplies to be brought up, at which point we realized that the stove/oven was non-functioning, and that we had to eat all of our meals out. Unfortunately we discovered this only after we bought groceries. The first morning, I also discovered that the only outlet in the bathroom did not work, which meant I could not plug in a toothbrush or hairdryer. Our room had huge closets, but not a single hanger. The lovely heated pools are open all night, which is great, but most of the time, we found that all the pool towels had been depleted and had to bring towels from our room. All of these things may seem like trifling things, but they add up when you consider how much you're paying for amenities that you're really not getting.

Overall, we liked our stay there immensely despite all the minuses and the staff was kind and accommodating. However, for our next Palm Springs trip, we would probably rent a self-catered small house with a pool since it would be cheaper and have all the amenities we are looking for.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple