“Desert Sun Review”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sacramento, California
“Desert Sun Review”
Reviewed 15 December 2011

I believe my wife may have entered a Trip Advisor report for Desert Sun a few years ago following our first stay. Our stay back then coincided with the new owners acquiring the resort and was very positive. Since that time we have made repeated and numerous visits to Desert Sun staying in the Villas, the hotel and even the Courtyard as well as day guests.

We have not been to any of the nudist resorts in Florida so can’t compare with those but have been to others around the country and can honestly say this is definitely our favorite and our “home away from home”.

The staff is amazing, the grounds beautiful (the Garden of Eden comes to mind when one strolls clothes free on the grounds), the food good at the restaurant and the improvements with the fire pits and heat lamps an excellent addition. We were recently at DS in November and had some cooler afternoons and evenings that were saved by the fire pits and heat lamps as they allowed us to continue to socialize with other guests. We love the limo service for downtown trips for dinners and cocktails. About the same price as a cab and considerably cheaper than a DUI from Palm Springs aggressive DUI enforcement.

We read several of the trip reports filed in the last few months and have a couple comments. First, the no kids thing doesn’t bother us. Over the last 5 years we’ve been to DS we don’t even know how many times now, but a lot. I think I remember seeing a child there on one occasion. It really seems like a non issue to us except for the insinuation that banning kids somehow makes DS a “lifestyle” resort. As regulars we can state with absolute certainty that is not the case. Everyone knows the rules and frankly, we have never once witnessed anything untoward on the grounds. What people do in their rooms is their business but DS most definitely does not allow that to spill onto the grounds.

Secondly, we noticed a couple of posts decrying the presence of single men. One in particular stated that his wife was made uncomfortable because there were no other women in the hot tub when she wanted to use it. In all the years we have been coming to DS, not once did we ever have any issue with a single guy being creepy, weird or obnoxious. In fact, people need to remember that simply because they see a man by himself in the hot tub or the pool, that doesn’t mean his wife or significant other isn’t also on the grounds someplace. Likewise, there are permanent residents who live on the grounds and it is kind of unreasonable to think that everyone goes everywhere on the grounds with their spouse in tow. I’d wonder that if a person is that freaked out about being in the presence of nude men who are polite and behaving themselves, perhaps naturism is not for you.

We rate Desert Sun at the top of the list for clothes free resorts. You just can’t beat a place this nice, with good food, nice rooms across a broad budget spectrum, fantastic and attentive staff and great owners with a vision to keep DS at the top of list. We highly, highly recommend it.

Room Tip: A little more expensive but the Villa's offer full kitchens, more room and a bit of privacy if y...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
21 Thank MandM2012

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Room was wonderful and spacious. Staff was friendly and very accommodating. Restaurant/Bar...drinks and food were delicious. The outside patio area was warm and inviting. The grounds are beautiful! The jacuzzi and pools were at the perfect temperature and a great way to relax and soak in the beautiful views.
This was the third time we stayed at the Desert Sun, and we can't wait to visit again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank ILVCHOP
Tacoma
Reviewed 12 December 2011

I've been going to Desert Sun for years. I have thoroughly enjoyed every trip! I was reading my nudist newsletters and found that Desert Sun has recently changed their policies to ban children. On the outside I can understand their decision. We've all seen crying children in the grocery store. However, I feel that if children are being a disturbance it's up to the parents to teach them to be respectful. I have had children come with me on trips before and they were not a disturbance to anyone. In fact children have rarely been at the resort with both sets of management.

As I said, I can understand why the resort chose to make this decision. But I feel that it's very short sighted. How are we supposed to grow the naturist community if more and more resorts are banning children? I have noticed that typically the resorts that ban children tend to turn "swinger" shortly after. Could this be because there are fewer reasons for people to behave themselves? Could this be because people instinctively behave better with children around? Could it be that children-free atmospheres attract sexual undertones? Could it be because the resorts are catering to swingers in the efforts to increase their occupancy rates? I can't say for certain. But I know that if children are being banned from resorts it could help their bottom lines for now, and have no more customers in the next 20 years.

I am very disappointed that I can no longer bring children with me. I am very concerned that adults will think anything goes in a child free environment. It can sometimes be awkward to tell my friends and family about my naturist life style. Naturism is already seen as being something that weird old people do. I'm actively trying to fight that mentality. I have introduced many people to the joys of naturism. It will be harder and harder for me to help grow the community if resorts are no longer family friendly.

I will continue to visit Desert Sun. It's the highlight trip of my year, every year. The reviews you read here are true. It's beautiful, peaceful, the staff is friendly, and there are always wonderful people to talk with. I fell in love with the open non-sexual atmosphere. I hope it stays that way. And hopefully, sometime in the future, I can bring my family again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Anonymous P
Reviewed 10 December 2011

We stayed here during a cold spell, but had a couple of days where the sun was warm enough to lay out. The restaurant was closed most of the time and the resort was pretty empty. This was no surprise given the time of year and weekdays.

We stayed in the Chaparral section. The rooms are getting tired and need some attention. The refrigerators have been removed. There was no microwave. With the restaurant closed this meant we had to leave for food. As this is a nudist resort ... well you get the picture.

Our biggest complaint was the jacuzzi. On our first night, as the sun set and the winter chill set in, my wife and I went to the spa. Another guest joined us. After about 15 minutes I did not feel right and got out. The other two did as well. My body was itching, as was my wife's. We didn't think much about it at the time and took a walk around the resort. We went in the salt water pool to see if we could rinse off our bodies. When we were back in our room the other guest knocked on our door and asked if we were having any problems. I said our skin was itching. He said the hair was burned off his legs and arms from the spa. We all complained to the front desk. Their pool company was out that evening. However the itching and bumps on the skin continue even as this is written, five days later. We did not go back in the water. We showered several times and could not get rid of the chlorine smell. The front desk was friendly, but clearly did not know what to do about unhappy guests. The experience ruined what was otherwise a good experience. We have been here before and will probably give Desert Sun one more shot - maybe.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank FairwayFound
desertsunps, Owner at Desert Sun Resort, responded to this review, 11 December 2011
We appreciate your input regarding your recent stay at our resort.
As you witnessed, our front desk immediately closed the Jacuzzi and contacted our pool vendor, Shark Pools, to come out for an emergency service call upon learning of your experience. Desert Sun Resort, like most other resorts, outsources the cleaning, maintenance, and chemicals to an outside company that specializes in commercial pools. Shark Pools arrived within 90 minutes and assessed the situation. They found that a brand new part on our chlorinator system, that was just replaced 6 hours earlier, had failed. The part was immediately replaced and the Jacuzzi was reopened shortly after. Unfortunately, there are times that our resort has to rely on professional vendors to do their jobs. Since this event took place, Desert Sun Resort has begun the process of interviewing new pool companies. I know that our front desk apologized to you and your wife, but we, as owners, would also like to apologize for the inconvenience that you experienced. This was the only time in our three year history that we have had a complaint regarding our Jacuzzis. This was an isolated problem that we feel was handled professionally. It is clear that the staff of DSR responded efficiently to your concern immediately upon any problem being reported.

You and your wife visited our resort during our “off-season”. During this time our restaurant is open five days a week. “In-season” (ten months out of the year) our restaurant is open seven days a week.

In respect to your comment about your room not having a refrigerator or microwave, you stayed in our $100 a night room. It is our absolute least expensive room that a guest can purchase at Desert Sun Resort. We offer seven levels of rooms. The majority of our rooms have full refrigerators and microwaves. Even our $100/night rooms have refrigerators, but you stayed the week that we removed mini bars and replaced them with brand new commercial refrigerators. Our guests like the idea that they can rent a $100 a night room, or a 1,300 square foot two-bedroom luxurious condo, and anything in between. We are proud that we can provide our guests with many choices to fit their specific budget. It also needs to be mentioned that all of our hotel rooms were completely renovated just 19 months ago. The room you stayed has a brand new travertine and glass shower, new bathroom tile and sink, new carpet, paint, fixtures, and every piece of furniture was brand new. The king size mattress that you used is also only 19 months old. It is the Heavenly Bed model with the thick pillow top mattress. Also, the comforter and all the linens are less than 6 months old. I am not sure what you mean by “dated”, but Desert Sun Resort is the newest naturist resort in the country. There are not newer rooms anywhere else. I would welcome any guest researching rooms to look at the pictures on our website, or stop by for a visit, and compare to any other nudist resort. We just are not sure what you are referring to?
Again, thank you for your report. It is unfortunate that you were the beneficiary of an isolated incident with our Jacuzzi. We are confident that the next time you try DSR, you will be very satisfied with the “entire” experience.
Reviewed 5 December 2011

We visited the last few days of November. The weather was hot and sunny; perfect for this resort. The service, amenities, and landscaping were simply outstanding. We agree with most of the visitors that this is not a children appropriate facility as some have complained about.
We stayed in the Charparell rooms which we thought very adequate. We are looking forward to a return visit. Everyone was so friendly.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple