“Great Food, S L O W Service ”
Review of Tokyo Cafe

Tokyo Cafe
Ranked #297 of 479 Restaurants in Orange
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 3 June 2017 via mobile

We were two couples on a Friday night. Enjoyed the food, but two of us got food while the other two waited patiently. Salad served during dinner. Water refills never came. Soy sauce spilled and we had to sop it up. Pile of napkins were left on the floor throughout the meal.

Eat somewhere else if you're in a hurry. Wear washable clothes.

Reviewed 13 September 2016

We've driven by this place several times and finally decided to try it out. We will definitely be back. I had the chicken teriyaki bento box and it was very filling. My wife had one of their rolls and said it was also tasty. The prices are very reasonable and service was friendly and attentive.

Reviewed 27 June 2016 via mobile

I used to come here often 3-4 years ago because of the quality of food and reasonable prices. With the new restaurants sprouting in Old Town Orange, I kind of put this resto in the bottom of my resto list. Decided to come for lunch today but read Yelp reviews before walking in. Seemed most of the reviews aren't as glowing as in the years past and I secretly hoped they were wrong.

Unfortunately, reviews were spot-on.

We ordered boba milk tea in a mason jar, mix sashimi plate ($15), Vegas roll ($9), rainbow roll ($10) and mix tempura appetizer ($4-5?). We were horrified by the bad quality of the sashimi. It was not fresh, cut badly and tasted slimy. Salmon had a filmy texture. The tempura batter was very thick and tough (overcooked). Vegas roll and rainbow roll was blah.

We made a comment to the lady server about the bad quality of the fish as she asked how the food tasted and how it was obvious we did not finish our food and there was half-eaten slices of sashimi on our plates. It literally left a bad taste in the mouth. She apologized profusely and assured us that she'll let management know. She offered to comp the sashimi but we refused the kind offer as it really was not our intention to have $$ shaven off our bill.

I am very disappointed at this experience that I definitely do not see myself coming back here nor will I recommend it to anybody. There are better restaurants a few steps from this one.

Reviewed 23 December 2015

Tokyo Cafe is located in the heart of Downtown, making it a great option when it's time to refuel after shopping for antiques. The recent change in management has breathed life into an already wonderful place. They offer the full range of items you'd expect from a Japanese sushi bar and restaurant, so my focus is on the friendly, attentive staff and relaxed vibe. You'll be well taken care of with fast, friendly service. I've been eating her regularly for ten years, so history is my ultimate review.

Reviewed 10 October 2015 via mobile

Took a break with my son while antique shopping in the Orange Circle. The restaurant is quaint, moderately priced, good food and friendly service. I like the atmosphere very much because it has a "mom & pop" feel to it. Given the choice of a higher end or chain restaurants; I'll always choose a place like this. I didn't give it a four or five star, only because it really is nothing spectacular, but if you're looking for a place to get away and relax, this would be it.