All reviews fire pit gas station hot water miles desert vegas bunnies fridge signal sky horseshoe las
Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

We stayed here for one night as we couldn’t get any accommodation in Death Valley for the night.
Don’t overlook this place!
It’s rustic and in need of some TLC but most importantly it’s clean! The woman I dealt with was very friendly and welcoming.There is 24/7 hot water and coffee available along with various types of tea.
We also met some great people that night who were staying there.
It has a good vibe and you won’t get a more realistic desert highway hotel feel!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Selina T
Reviewed 13 October 2017

It's not a bad place to stay, but it is very rustic. I think that it has a lot of potential really and it's up for sale so maybe a new owner can take it and run with the potential that is there (but leave the sign!)
I can't really rate the service because we saw someone for about 2 seconds - long enough to hand over my credit card to pay and get the room key. We didn't have any issues that warranted having to talk to staff. There was no sign out process - just drop the key in a box and leave. We didn't see the fire pit area until we left the next day.
I have to admit that I was really excited when I booked this because I thought it was going to be so much fun, and was expecting a social gathering around the firepit and lots of conversation but that was not the case. Oh well! We spent extra time in bed instead! ;-)

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2017

Pleasant stay for 1 night. The rooms are warn down but is fairly clean a fridge in a small kitchenet can keep the beers cold. The door to the bath room couldn't be closed. The only reason for 4 stars here is the experience of living in a Hitchcok movie and price is also ok.
Bets signal WIFI on all hotels on this trip.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank HenrikC_12
Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

The room was clean though it was very outdated. No TV but has wifi and a fridge. The blinds were missing a few so people could look if wanting too. The bathroom window was open when we got there. It is definitely out in the middle of no where but it was very quaint. Picnic tables, horseshoes, bonfire pit, coffee & tea available for free. Staff were nice and helpful. Beautiful views of the mountains all around and cute bunnies everywhere.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 July 2017

I was on a driving tour from Las Vegas through Death Valley to San Francisco and found this little gem along the way. It is super clean, has a little kitchen with refrigerator, and will bring you happy memories of trips on the road in the 50s. The wifi works great and the manager is really nice. I was driving West on 190 from Death Valley and turned North when I hit CA 395. I was driving in the dark and called the motel to say I was lost when I got to Cartago! I was greeted with gentle laughter and directors to turn SOUTH. I retraced my steps a few miles and easily found the Rustic Motel with the lights on waiting for me.

This is a great little motel. The management has hot coffee, hot water and a selection of teas. I enjoyed a cup of coffee and a snack from my backpack on one of the little tables in the shade of a tree for breakfast. There is a good local cafe just up the road a mile or so if you need breakfast, lunch or dinner.

My room had two very comfortable twin beds, a super clean bathroom with nice towels and that handy little kitchen. Everything along this trip is expensive and the Rustic is a great place to stop for a reasonable price. Sit outside your room on one of the garden chairs and admire the sky before you go to bed. There is a really nice view of the Eastern Sierras along CA 395 and the countryside is beautiful.

Just 34 miles north of Olancha on CA 395 is the WWII Japanese Internment Camp Manzanar. The NPS has done a wonderful job presenting the lives of the Japanese in the camp and they have made a super 20 minute film that everyone should see. You can take a little drive around the camp. If you are out that way, make sure you plan a stop.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo