“Great place to stop going into Ojai”

The Farmer and The Cook
Ranked #18 of 99 Restaurants in Ojai
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A cafe-market-bakery-salad bar serving Mexican food using organic chiles, tomatoes and tomatillos grown at the farm. The tortillas are handmade and the sangria is topped with local Ojai citrus. Quite a few vegan, raw and gluten-free offerings; everything else is vegetarian. Lovely outdoor patio with a striped green awning and a view of the mountains.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

We veered off course a little from the central part of Ojai to come here. It was worth the stop. Nice place with good food options. The tacos and burger were delicious!

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 13 November 2017

I was REALLY excited about this place and REALLY wanted to like it. I was very disappointed all around. Service was terrible. It was slow (food took 25 minutes after I ordered (burrito), and then my food was cold. The place was dirty. Tables were not cleaned. Bathroom toilet was backed up, and no one was dealing with it. The food was not good at all. My burrito was 3/4 brown rice... maybe a tablespoon of avocado in the whole burrito. Very disappointing overall. I have no idea where the good reviews are coming from.

Date of visit: November 2017
Reviewed 7 October 2017

Very casual
Entertainment on a Sunday when we were there
Variety of food choices
Lovely place close to The Ojai Retreat!

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 1 October 2017

For an authentic Ojai experience, we highly recommend the Farmer and the Cook restaurant. The food is wholesome, fresh and vegetarian based. Everything on their menu is delicious, including the baked goods made from scratch. I wish there were more plant based restaurants like this in the world.

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed 14 June 2017

I frequent this establishment quite often as I am in Ojai most every weekend. In fact, it is one of my partner's favorite restaurant. This past Sunday, after visiting the famous farmer's market in Ojai, we decided to pop into The Farmer and The Cook for a quick lunch. Well, the line to order was longer than I have ever seen. After placing our order, we waited patiently for 25 minutes for our order to arrive. I figured it took this long because this restaurant is known for cooking each plate to order and I expected that, naturally, the cheese rice and bean burrito I ordered would be served hot once I sliced it in half. Well, guess what? The little serving of salsa was very hot but unfortunately, the burrito was not even luke warm. I was very disappointed. If hot food is not kept t the right temperature, it could be susceptible to bacteria. went to the front counter and sent it back. I also decided that I did not want to risk getting a stomach infection, I request a refund. I must admit that the staff were quick to provide me with a refund. I am, however, deeply disappointed in this extremely popular restaurant and told my partner I would not be frequenting this establishment again..

Date of visit: June 2017