“Friendly but disappointing food”
Review of Bistro Des Copains - CLOSED

Bistro Des Copains
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 October 2014

We loved about 50% of our meal and were disappointed by the remaining 50%.
Very welcoming little restaurant in the cute town of Occidental. We booked a table for 2 on a Saturday night. My appetizer was very good (beet, orange salad and blue cheese soufflé), though my husband was disappointed by his (a strange "fondue" which was just slices of melted goat cheese accompanied by chips, apples, and cornichons. Far from a traditional fondue, strange combination of ingredients...). For the main course, my husband had the beef "daube" and was very happy with that. The meat was tender and savory, served with a side of pureed potatoes. My pissaladière, sort of onion and goat cheeze pizza, was a little bland. I would have expected less of a pizza dough and more of a tart dough with some flake to it, and the onion was a little too sweet. As for dessert, the chocolate and caramel pot de creme was delicious, but I hardly ate any of my upside down apple cake which tasted only of cinnamon and not at all of apple.
Other than that, very friendly service and nice looking restaurant. They didn't charge us for my dessert (seeing that I didn't eat it), which was a very professional gesture.

Reviewed 7 October 2014

Every person who worked there was welcoming and on top of things. The food was fantastic and the vibe was chill and "local."

Reviewed 4 October 2014

We (a party of four) arrived on time for our reservation but had to wait 15 minutes for our table to be cleaned and prepped. We asked the hostess/server to keep the bottle of Champagne we brought chilled while we waited - she took the bottle and left it on the counter. Not a great start.

We found the dishes to be hit and miss. Some outstanding and others totally lacking. The rabbit and short ribs were outstanding but the mussels and French fries, albeit a generous serving, underwhelming. The pot de crème, yummy but the clafoutti dry and flavorless.

The server was less than attentive and at one point argued with the couples at table behind us-another story that I hope shows up in another review.

The restaurant is small, crowded and extremely noisy.

Reviewed 3 October 2014

How many bicycle riders can you jam into a little restaurant?
My wife and I were expecting a nice dinner in a bistro setting and instead was placed against a wall in a roadhouse atmosphere. Within 2 minutes of sitting down, bread was thrown on the table in front of us and we were asked to order before the crowd of 20 bicycle riders ordered.
Great way to spend an evening meal. All was sour after that, should have went with my first reaction and left.
It would be a courtesy of restaurants to inform that they are overwhelmed when a reservation is confirmed. Unfortunately this establishment did not.

Reviewed 14 September 2014

We ate here twice. Food and service very good on both occasions. Varied menu plus daily specials, all well presented. Good list of wines available by the glass.