“Cute and Cozy”

Ranked #1 of 1 Occidental B&B and Inns
SoCal
“Cute and Cozy”
Reviewed 21 March 2012

My husband and I just returned from a 2 night stay here and we were very pleased. The Inn at Occidental is a cute B&B tucked away in a small corner of Sonoma county. The bed was very comfortable and with all the rain we experienced, the large soaking tub and fireplace were a sight for sore eyes. The town itself is very tiny, but not lacking in charm. There are only a handful of restaurants within walking distance, but if you tried a different one every night you can't go wrong with any of them. The lobby has a book of menus from all the local restaurants which is a great help in deciding which restaurant to try.
The breakfast is great...the other reviewers are correct in mentioning how great the home made granola is! The hot accompaniment doesn't disappoint, either. The evening wine and cheese reception was very nice. It gives you a chance to meet the innkeepers and taste some local wines.
My only reason for not giving the Inn a full 5 star rating is because of a faint pet smell. There is a small dog on the property and some cats that hang around outside. The animal smell in the office was pretty strong and when the rain came, the dampness brought out some odor in on the decorative pillows in our room. This doesn't bother some people if you're an extreme animal lover, but as for us, we like pets to remain outside.

Room Tip: We had the "Summer Room" which was very bright and cheery, even on the rainiest day.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dramamama23
Jerryoccidental, Owner at Inn at Occidental, responded to this review, 24 March 2012
As owner of the Inn, we value the input our guests provide regarding their stay. We appreciate and thank the guest for their complimentary remarks made on Cute and Cozy. There are two comments we would like to respond to. We do own a small Shih Tzu who is 14 years of age. She, at times, is the joy to many of our guests as she is very friendly. Many guests miss their pets so they are delighted to have Kahlua around. We bring her to the office on most days. We are in the office daily along with several of our Innkeepers. I can assure you that there is no pet smell. The Shih Tzu breed has silky hair, similar to human hair and does not shed, which is great for those with allergies. I would challenge anyone to find a pet odor in our office or Inn. As to cats in the area, we do not own any. Our neighbor above our parking lot has several cats and on occasion you can spot one in our parking lot. As to the pillow and wet weather, I can't imagine what the reviewer is referring to. Pets are not allowed in that room and I find it hard to believe there would be any odor regarding a pet on one of our pillows.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Tracy
Reviewed 10 March 2012

My husband and I just celebrated our 16th wedding anniversary here. Every year we celebrate by staying in a B&B...so this review comes with someone who has stayed in over 17 different inns all over California. I am very picky before I book an inn . I read every review and look at ALL the rooms.
When I called to book I asked about the 40 dollar "reservation fee" . I have 4 kids under the age of 8...so the possibility of having to cancel due to my parents not making it to watch the kids or one of the kids getting sick was a concern to me. I intended on rebooking if this was the case...and it was told it was not a problem. I think a cancelation fee of someone who does not rebook is fair.
Also I could only afford the room on sale. Jerry and Tina were SO generous and gave us a free upgrade to the Heritage Room when we arrived. When I got in the room I was so happy. It was very clean! I always check the bed to make sure it is clean ...and everything was clean and nicely decorated. The bed is very comfortable too! The breakfast is yummy!
The setting of the redwoods and the beach is spectacular! You must try zip lining at Sonoma Canopy Tours. It was very safe and so much fun!
I am so glad we stayed here!

Room Tip: Choose the rooms separate from the main building which have a private entrance and a porch. More pr...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Valerie M
LUTZ
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My husband and I spent part of our honeymoon at the Inn at Occidental. The staff was helpful and very welcoming. They gave us many great ideas of things to do in the area. Our room was immaculate and so warm and inviting. Breakfast was delicious! We will definitely be back soon!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
San Mateo, California
Reviewed 27 February 2012

My husband and I were celebrating a special birthday and it was our first stay at the Inn. Wonderful hospitality, Jerry and Tina the innkeepers are very friendly and warm to all the guests. They made our special occasion very special and memorable even adding a birthday rose to our room. Also, Victoria who handled our reservations was extremely nice and professional. Everyone at the Inn makes you feel at home. We definitely will remember our January visit to the Inn and hope to return in the future.

Room Tip: The Summer Room was private and bright. It was just perfect for sharing our special occasion.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Occidental, California
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We've stayed here several times in the rooms with private deck outside the main house. The view from the deck is wonderful. Heat is from a thermostat-controlled fireplace. The room decors are all themed and fun. It's very quiet and gracious - bathrobes, wine in the room, jetted oversized bath. The chef who cooks breakfast is wonderful. Coffee is available at 7am for those who need to wake up early. We stay here on business trips and it is very nice to decompress here after a tough day. Jerry and Tina, the innkeepers were born to do this. They are wonderful hosts. We will continue to stay here when in Occidental.

Room Tip: Check with the innkeepers if you aren't comfortable climbing a lot of stairs with your bags. So...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Occidental
12.5 km away
32.0 km away
Timber Cove Resort
Timber Cove Resort
#2 of 3 in Jenner

Been to Inn at Occidental? Share your experiences!