“Had shaven noodles were great ”

Shandong Restaurant
Ranked #237 of 1,436 Restaurants in Oakland
Reviewed 26 June 2017 via mobile

This is authentic Chinese cuisine, featuring the yummy hand shaven noodles in many forms, along with dumplings and many other choices. We had the hand shaven noodles three ways, including in a flavorful hot and sour soup. Sharing is definitely the way to go, as portions are large. Service was prompt and friendly too.

Reviewed 7 June 2017

We tried the beef brisket soup with hand made noodles. The soup was tasty but the noodles were too fat and doughy. The shandong noodles were tasty but again the dough was quite thick. The pancakes with scallions were very tasty. Next time we will try the regular noodles, they may be better.

The restaurant at lunch was full of non-Chinese people which made me wonder whether maybe the food is catering to non-Chinese. The waitress was very efficient.
Noise level was quite high.

Reviewed 26 March 2017

Family has been coming for years, so with reservations at opening time we were able to skip the lines. It was my first time here. The service is good, they are responsive.
Yes, they are making hand pulled noodles right by the door. Not much decor to speak of, even some of the glass sculptures in frames is unusual. Has more the feel of very busy "down home" Chinese eatery.
The food is good, we had 3 varieties of dumplings, spicy wonton, pork with cabbage and pork with leeks fillings. They are good but not exceptional. Now their ja jiang noodles I found were excellent. (Normally I don't enjoy this dish) but I did this one). We also had a regular fried noodles and this was average. Along with the above we had shrimp with walnuts eggplant and ma po tofu (this had watery gravy) . These are all certainly good. The prices are reasonable. But I have no idea why many rave about the place.

Reviewed 7 July 2016 via mobile

Not the best handmade noodles i have tried. Too starchy and hard. Too little meat in noodle dishes too. Best to order another meat dish to go with the noodles for a complete satisfactory meal. Shandong beef was good, crispy well fried. Dumplings were average with thick skin. Toilet condition was terrible- really gives a bad memory especially if u visit it before you leave.

Reviewed 21 March 2016

I don't get it. This restaurant has a 4-star rating and always crowded. So I went there to experience the "wonderful" dumplings everyone was talking and willing to wait in line for a meal. I ordered house dumplings. It was ok. I gave it a 3-star. The filling was good and it was healthy. But the wrap(outside of the dumpling) was mushy. The fried pot-sticker was a failure. I ate only the crunchy part and the fillings. I discarded the rest. The spring roll was not tasty at all. Even Panda Express has better spring rolls. The braised green beans(a popular dish) was too salty. Many Chinese restaurants have better green beans than this. The last one was their specialty noodle (hand shaved noodle) not found in other Chinese restaurants. It was thick and stick to your teeth. The texture did not appeal to my palate at all. I discarded the noodle after one bite. But the soup base of this noodle was good, which is pork with preserved vegetable. I drank it all. The sour and spicy soup other people highly praised was average. The only good thing I say about this restaurant is the food is healthy and the portion is huge for lunch.