“Seriously Good Eats!”

alaMar Kitchen
Ranked #77 of 1,436 Restaurants in Oakland
Price range: US$12 - US$25
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole, Seafood
Description: We are a fast casual eatery with counter service and a full bar, serving exceptional sustainable seafood boils, create-your-own poke bar and one-of-a-kind oyster bar. Order and pay at the counter, grab a table and dig in! History: alaMar is a chef-driven eatery that started as a full service restaurant in 2014. alaMar became best known for Chef Nelson's Braised Angus Oxtail dish and the Peel n Eat Gulf Shrimp submerged in his signature romesco sauce. Today, to better suit our guests' needs, we transformed into a quick service eatery serving the same delicious signature dishes that alaMar became synonymous with. Within our first 2 years, we were rated Michelin Recommended. In 2016, alaMar was voted by fans as Best Restaurant in Oakland. Meet the Owner: alaMar is the brainchild of award-winning Executive Chef/Owner Nelson German. Hailing from NYC, Chef Nelson migrated to the West Coast after he fell in love with California cuisine. Today, he is proud to call Uptown Oakland home to his very first restaurant.
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

Met my daughter here for lunch not really knowing what to expect. Ordered the Dominican Bowl with oxtails, beans, rice and plantains. Gloriously delicious. Perfectly seasoned and tender oxtails with not a lot of fat. The beans were a perfect accompaniment and full of flavor as well. Can’t wait to return and try the seafood bowl everyone is raving about.

Reviewed 18 July 2017

Came here with a business colleague for a very late (4 pm) lunch on a Thursday afternoon. Place was empty, but after tasting the food I can attribute that to the fact there was huge fire a block away earlier that day, most of the streets were still blocked off and the sidewalks were covered in soot and ash. Anyway - order at the register, they give you a beeper and you go up and get your food when they call you. The menu I would describe as Dominican-Cajun (?). The place is small and decorated in kind of a funky style, but very appealing. I ordered Catfish Tacos and Fall-Off-The-Bone wings - both dishes were absolutely delicious ! Never-ending ice tea was quickly refilled by the very pleasant hostess / waitress. The price I was charged was more than fair for such a delicious meal in a really great place. Looking forward to trying out the dinner menu soon !!

Reviewed 23 March 2017 via mobile

At one point, this was at the top of the list of my dining experiences in da Bay...not so much now. No longer a full service restaurant...walk up and order; walk up and pickup your meal in plastic plates...food was good, not superb...didn't match my previous visits...I am sad....

1  Thank ToughcatCompany
Reviewed 19 February 2017

It was Dude's birthday and after we finished working out at the Y, we decided to come to alaMar, #1 because it was close by and #2 I attended a YEE 4 days before and the event was fabuloso!

Dude is such a picky eater so it was hard to pick items off the menu for him. However, I ordered the Dominican Bandera with organic chicken and a Cranapple drink for him and a pound of Pei Mussels with the fave butter and red potato for me and sourdough bread for both of us. There was a bit of a wait for the food but the food was worth waiting for. The portions were healthy and tasty! Dude actually enjoyed his meal and he liked the shredded organic chicken meat, beans, rice and sauces and he used the bread to dip into the sauce.

As for me I enjoyed every morsel of the mussels and it was plenty and had the sauce had a bit of a kick to it to warm me up during this cold night! So I'd say he did enjoy it as much as I did!

Reviewed 10 January 2017 via mobile

There is a severe rain storm in the Bay Area. I passed Ala Mar and dropped in for lunch since the torrential rains thinned the crowd. To get warm I chose the Dominican bowl that includes rice and red beans and shredded cabbage. The star of my meal was the fork tender fall-off-the-bone oxtails. They were served smothered in a rich gravy that was fragrant with spices. Talk about comfort food. While flavorful, the oxtails were not too peppery. Other Dominican bowl choices are braised chicken, stewed okra and blackened tilapia. There is also a choice of poke bowls. Wine and beer are available. Ala Mar is a casual dining atmosphere with counter service. The staff is friendly and the chef, Nelson German is welcoming and really seemed concerned his customers.
I will definitely return to Ala Mar to try the crab sliders, the clam chowder or one of the poke bowls.

Been to alaMar Kitchen? Share your experiences!