“Great tofu stews, meat or veg”

Pyeong Chang Tofu House
Ranked #160 of 1,297 Restaurants in Oakland
Reviewed 10 August 2016

The tofu stew here is packed with silky tofu and can be made as fiery as you like. Though it's tofu based, there are many meat and seafood options. I love the kimchi version. Also reasonably good banchan.

1  Thank Jennie S

Reviewed 6 August 2016

We go here for the tasty banchan, the spicy pork, and the fast service. When we have more people eating with us, we usually order the bo ssam (pork belly) and hae mul jun (Seafood pancake), along with the usual spicy pork. Be prepared to wait a bit for a table if you come at peak hours.

Reviewed 16 December 2015

I love on the East Coast but I've been here twice and both times were outstanding. Tofu soup, Bibimbap. You can't go wrong! Homey place, friendly staff. Hope to be out here for a 3rd visit sometime!

Reviewed 22 May 2015 via mobile

This was the place that really got me excited about Korean food. I had tried a couple of generic
Korean BBQ places that just didn't do it for me.
Pyung Chang's however tantalized me with their pancakes, tofu soup, bi bim bap and bul go gi, not to mention all the other side goodies they give you. Good place to share with friends.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

The venue was cute with tables that looked like there were made with whole tree trunks. Service was friendly and attentive. What really made this place shine was the food.

There was a mashed tofu and parsley starter that was surprisingly good. The other starters (kim chee, sprounts, eggplant, etc) were also tasty. My wife and I were particularly impressed with the tofu soups...they were deliciously spiced and the tofu was just right. We also shared a hae chol bee bim bop, had seaweed and fish roe. It was tasty but the tofus was still the best part of the meal.

The average prices of entrees at this place is a bit more than the $8-12 one typically expects for the starter level fare at a casual sit down restaurant; However, you get the typical collection of 8 different appetizers to start so you get a lot of extra food as part of the package so it's worth.