“Excellent for a long dinner special occasion ”
Review of Commis

Commis
Ranked #35 of 1,436 Restaurants in Oakland
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: French, Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Rio Vista
Transit: Nearest Bart Station: Macarthur Taxis are often available outside the station for a quick ride to our restaurant.
Description: Commis restaurant serves a cuisine driven by modern and classic culinary traditions and is composed of ingredients that are grown, harvested, and foraged from the land that surrounds us. We offer a nightly coursed menu. ***If you or your dining companions have any food allergies, please note them when completing your reservation. Allergies will be accommodated with a spontaneous vegetarian preparation. Thank you for helping us best serve your party. THE CHEF'S COUNTER SEATING OFFERS A FRONT ROW VIEW OF OUR OPEN KITCHEN AND AVAILABILITY FOR THE COUNTER IS MANAGED DIRECTLY BY THE RESTAURANT.
Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

I’d have done full 5 stars except that the menu didn’t feel very summery. Lamb is associate with spring and there were several white sauces dishes which I’d prefer were highlighting bold summer colors and flavors but I’m being silly and picky. But that’s the only reason or omitting the 5th star. The taste profiles and presentation of each dish was superb. The service friendly, attentive and knowledgeable. Great wine pairings featuring more unusual wines from Kent/England for example.
Expect to pay close to $700 for two but you’ll leave with great food memories! Sit at counter to enjoy the show. 6 counter seats.

Reviewed 16 July 2018

This establishment fully deserves its two Michelin stars and recognition as the best restaurant in Oakland. Sit at the counter if possible (couples only) to watch each plate being assembled. The custom cocktails are inventive and delicious. It's not inexpensive but delivers more value than many other places in this same range.

1  Thank Bill P
Reviewed 9 July 2018

My husband and I joined two foodie friends for our continuing adventure to discover all the wonderful dining in the Bay Area. We settled on Commis to get out to Oakland and hoped for a new inspiration. Unfortunately, we were all disappointed.

The restaurant is in a very cool space--the bar, in particular, is awesome. But the overall dinner experience left us all underwhelmed. A few dishes that left us confused--in particular a potato soup with caviar course that just seemed odd and uninspired. An overcooked sea bass course I had to send back was quickly replaced with an excellent preparation, and the way that was handled was wonderful. But otherwise, the service left us all cold and felt very unenthusiastic and detached overall.

The dishes overall were good but didn't blow us away--except for one egg dish that was really impressive. Everything else felt more like 1*. But the service was so cold that I'm not sure any of us would bother to return. The food issues dropped it from 5 to 4 stars for us, and the service coldness dropped it to 3 out of 5.

A real shame.

4  Thank BillR2390
Reviewed 2 June 2018 via mobile

Michelin star rated restaurant in Oakland CA. My husband and I came on a Thursday night during a quick trip to Cali. The restaurant has a great feel with low noise so conversation is easy. Well decorated with good lighting. Dim and relaxing but light enough to appreciate the food you were being served. The wait staff was personable, attentive and knowledgeable without being overbearing (which is a fine line to walk). The preset menu had an available wine pairing option but we opted for a single glass. The recommended wine was excellent and paired great with the food. We enjoyed the small plate dishes (only large enough for a few bites of each) and the bread will be something that I will crave for years to come. The only flaw I found in the menu was that a lamb bone broth was served just prior to a dish of lamb cooked three different ways. The broth was delicious but serving it with lamb on the same menu I felt was a mistake. Lamb has such a distinct flavor (and can at times be overpowering) a little goes a long way. This is the same for having three different cuts of lamb on one plate. It was too much to take in even though the portions were small. We enjoyed our experience but due to the price point I feel you can have an equally good food experience without spending $400 other places.

2  Thank rebswifty16
Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

Came here with an old classmate and sat at the chef’s counter. What a great experience. The pairings were fantastic and the food well paced. Of course, everything tasted incredible.

I loved the copy of the menu given at the end as well. A nice touch!