“Elderberry excellence .... at the end of a long and winding road”

Erna's Elderberry House
Reserve with OpenTable
Erna's Elderberry House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 53 Restaurants in Oakhurst
Price range: US$78 - US$125
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Highway 41
Reviewed 18 December 2017

We traveled to Yosemite to attend the Bracebridge Dinner at the Majestic Yosemite Hotel (grr, it is and always will be the Ahwahnee despite the trademark wars!) and wanted to dine outside of the hotel as we would be eating there for the rest of the weekend. So we happened upon Erna's Elderberry House on OpenTable and decide to try it despite the >1 hour drive from Yosemite Valley to Oakhurst that the trip would take. We were more than amply rewarded with a wonderful meal in a cozy beautiful dining room that was decorated for Christmas. The food was fantastic, the service was superb. The staff was smooth and gracious and we were greeted by a printed menu with our name on it and then received a delicious amuse bouche to start off our meal. This was followed by tasty bread and then by a wonderful 3 course meal (we chose the fresh fish as our entree, marvelous!, the restaurant offers a 3, 4 or 5 course tasting menu or selections ala carte). The waiters offered great suggestions as to the wine for my wife and provided me with a house made elderberry based sparkling nonalcoholic drink as I had to drive back to the Valley(sigh). The meal finished with a lovely dessert and great coffee. And as a final touch we were sent on our way with individual almond cranberry pastries to have with our coffee at breakfast the next day. An evening and meal worth every curve negotiated to and from !!!!

Reviewed 4 December 2017 via mobile

Having dined here before, and enjoyed a delicious and satisfying meal, we were VERY surprised that the only option was a tasting menu. The menu Trip Advisory listed above and the one I saw printed in a magazine of menus from the Tourist Information office did not advise us that the only option was a TASTING menu, nor did the personalized menus at the restaurant.
My husband chose the 3 course menu, composed of a starter, a olive wrapped Rib Eye and a salad to finish. I had the 5 course with additional course of carrot soup and a chocolate dessert which we planned on sharing.
Don't get me wrong the food is good but more emphasis is placed on the artistic presentation of the food what I call tweezer food, items so small that they are placed on your dish with twizzers or actually painted on with a paint brush.
I can't wait for this trend to end.
The server pointed out "the 3 orange dots are the romesco sauce" I never saw nor tasted the caviar in my 1st course.
We were both completely surprised at the size of our "rib eye" it was the size of a silver dollar coin by maybe a 1/4-1/2"
Especially because we were asked how we wanted it cooked as in "medium rare", and we were in cattle country!
The dessert listed 7 items, the chocolate was painted on the plate, the prickly pear marshmallow was a one half inch By 1/8" square, and 1 tablespoon mound of gelato
The others I didn't see.
The ambience is fantastic, a beautiful restaurant, everything there is perfect. Service beyond great. If only we had known the only option available was a tasting option.
Also there were several people who didn't dress as advised, coat, tie or button down shirt. Instead they were in Levis,tee shirts and plaid shirts. They should have been seated in one of the other rooms.
As I said, I hope this tasting trend ends soon as this is such a special place.

1  Thank Priscilla G
Reviewed 30 November 2017

We returned to Edna's to celebrate our birthdays and what a memorable evening we shared in Oakhurst! Everything was prepared with the greatest attention to detail with the finest of ingredients. The braised red cabbage that accompanied our main course brought us back to Nuremberg for the Christmas Eve dinner with snowflakes falling outside the window. This is destination dining as it is in Europe, where people travel across rivers, mountains, and countries to get to a special place renown for its cuisine. We are always greeted so warmly that we feel like part of the family. We send our sincere thanks for attention to details and perfection on the plates! Bravo!!!

Reviewed 8 November 2017

Absolutely unbelievable that an establishment like Erna's would be hidden in Oakhurst CA! Excellent food, Incredible service and an unforgettable dining experience. An experience like this can't be had in very many places. Treat yourself to a dining experience which is as good as it gets!

Reviewed 26 October 2017

This out-of-the-way restaurant surprised with excellent, although pricey, food. We enjoyed every course. We particularly appreciated the fact that the portion sizes were not overwhelming, and the selection of accompanying tastes and flavors to each dish was original and delicious. Very good wine list. We were disappointed that the bar was not operational the night we were there.
Note that this is not an inexpensive meal, but it is exceptional food in an unlikely locale.