“Very lively authentic Tapas Bar. Great dancing too”

Tapas Restaurant Flavors of Spain
Ranked #288 of 513 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Latin, Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: MacArthur/Corinthian
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

Going like a Spaniard which is later in the evening gave me the chance to see the music and dancing. Both the steak and fish were very good too, but the ambiance and service, made it really nice. Definitely worth a try.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Went with friends but the food was not that tasty and the water I got had some black stuff which was trying to settle down on the bottom. The place was deserted and not well maintained.
There might be better places around.

Reviewed 21 August 2013

Located in sort of an industrial center across my hotel, I wasn't expecting much and the decor seemed pretty basic. Couldn't figure out why they asked if I had a reservation. then the great Sangaritas came, appetizers, main course and desert. I am reading these other reviews and my experience was much much different. Great food, Great service and then the Flamenco guitar troop came on stage! There were lots of large families and groups around us having a great time. One of the best meals, at the best prices I've had in the Irvine area. This is not some trendy, highbrow corporate place. It's run by real people, with real food. Will be going back again.

Reviewed 10 December 2012

I actually had a really nice night, but when I got home and started thinking about how the check didn't add up quite right, that's when I realized they accepted a tip on top of an auto gratuity. Now I feel burned. I didn't notice on the menu that there would be an auto gratuity. I understand when you have a party of six or more, but we were only two people.

We ordered roasted piquillo peppers stuffed with salmon, queso manchego style, ceviche de snapper y scallops, and mojitos. The table also had complimentary bread and some type of mayonnaise spread to go with it. I enjoyed the food, except the spread for the bread. My mojito was weak, but tasty. The fish was not as fresh as I would have liked it to be, but it was cooked and seasoned well. We intended to share a steak, but we were satisfied after the appetizers. The ceviche comes with fresh, homemade tortilla chips; and they were delicious.

Our waiter was attentive before and after the flamenco show, but was nowhere to be found during the show. This might be intentional because he didn't want to interrupt the show.

I enjoyed the flamenco show. (Remember to bring cash to tip the performers.) It had it's highs and lows. There were three dancers with varying skill levels and different styles, one of whom was also a singer, as well as three additional instrumental musicians. CD's were available to purchase, but since our check was higher than we anticipated, we said no. Of course, if we hadn't left an extra tip, we might have bought the CD. Like I mentioned, I didn't notice until I got home; as it simply did not occur to me that it was so high because of an auto gratuity.

After the flamenco show, they offered a free salsa lesson, which was very entertaining and geared toward the beginner. I think most people were advanced beginner level. They seemed to have the gist of it, but nobody was so awesome that it was intimidating.

I am undecided if I would return or not, based on how slighted I feel about the auto gratuity. I am a standard 20% tipper. I leave more if I take a long time at the table, or have small children who leave a mess, or for exceptional service, etc. You basically have to completely suck at your job for me to leave 15% or 10%. I don't have an issue with tipping, but I certainly would not have tipped 38%, on top of having already tipped the performers.

The dancing was nice, but now I feel over it.

Reviewed 6 July 2012

These places need to just disappear, manager to go to a psych ward and commit everyone. Really people. You have no sense of service, healthy food or atmosphere that could make up a retaurant. Never again will I step foot in there and I make sure I tell everyone.

2  Thank jesica71