“Always the best fish crab and lobster ”
Review of Crab Cooker

Crab Cooker
Ranked #23 of 520 Restaurants in Newport Beach
Price range: US$21 - US$30
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

This is the original in Newport Beach. I was there in the early 60s with my mom and dad and it still is exactly the same 55 years later. They are renovating it in June 2018 but stated they will reinstall all the interior atmosphere that is so fascinating and historical so only the building structure kitchen and fish market will be improved. The rest will remain as close to the same as possible. The other restaurant in Tustin at my families shopping center “Enderle Center” is just the same but about 41 years newer. They will be open at the Tustin location for your crab cooker needs during the time this one in Newport is being rebuilt. Recommend the salmon or swordfish. Crab and lobster are pricy but delicious. Clam chowder here is the only chowder I’ll eat. So I get a small tub to go. All entrees are available to go to take to the nearby beach to eat or dine in. I’ve never needed reservations but may be required on super busy nights.

Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

Can't be crabby at Crab Cooker restaurant
. The servers are smiley faces and happy to explain menu. It was a Rainey day and the warmth and historical atmosphere was welcoming. When I ordered a bowl of their world famous chowder. I was surprised to see it was red Manhatten style. Thankful after the first bite I ordered it. Amazing taste and sea food was abundant and filling. The Fisherman bread and small breadsticks in container you could shake over chowder was delish.
My friend had cod on a stick and cole slaw and veggies. This was a light fare in amount and price . Perfect for a small buget. Next time we're having the salmon after seeing a patron's enjoyment.
Wonderful way to spend our rainy afternoon. Paid parking lot not far to walk.
We drank cups of hot water with lemons and the waitress made sure it continued to be hot. Did not seem upset it was not the usual choice of a round of beer. Of course are next visit it wii be not rainy and cold.
So bring out the Cold Cheer for Crab Cooker Corner in Newport.

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

There's a reason this place has been around for 66 years! We all started out with their Manhatten style clam chowder, which everyone loved! We then split a couple of crab cakes - also delicious. We then split three pounds of crab legs, with sides of potatoes and coleslaw. The crab legs are served warm with drawn butter, and everyone at the table said they were the best they had ever had!! The potatoes are similar to mashed potatoes, but crispy on the bottom- almost like a potato pancake. The atmosphere is casual, and looks like it hasn't been updated in 66 years. The servers are very friendly and fast. Highly recommend !!!

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

Very good lunch with good food and good service. The salmon wings were very good. And the skewer of shrimp and scallops was very good. The portions of food were plentiful and tasty. Not for those looking for elegant dining.

Reviewed 28 February 2018 via mobile

I have loved their food since I was a little girl...60+ years! We were so happy they were still open, while we were on holiday in Balboa. We hear they are renovating soon and will be closed for about a year! We ate there 3 or 4 times during our visit. My favorite the shrimp & scallop skewers, of course with their wonderful potatoes and coleslaw. My husband loves the oyster skewers with an amazing number of oysters, fixed over open grill...you never had them this good!