“The best finger likin' BBQ in the South Bay.”
Review of Barbecue Pit

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Barbecue Pit
Ranked #21 of 203 Restaurants in National City
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed 22 May 2015 via mobile

Wow. I was raised in National City and I had never stopped. Do I regret it!!
The environments is somewhat like a cafeteria. The BBQ ribs are made while you order. You can smell the smoker and the BBQ. Those ribs were juicy, and the meat was tender and let's not forget that BBQ sauce made fresh. Fresh corn bread with butter and honey, salads, macaroni and cheese. Mmmmmmmm.
Wow, what a wonderful experience. Ideal for family or parties.
The prices are reasonable. Be prepared to lick your fingers.
You will not regret eating here.

Reviewed 9 January 2015 via mobile

I've been eating at the Barbecue Pit since the. 50s and the food has been consistently good for over 50 year. It's the best BBQ place in NC. It is family owned. They have beef, ham and ribs that can be ordered as sandwich plates
or meal. You can have two sides which can be baked, beans, cole slaw, or macaroni salad. You can buy all meats by the lb and sides for catering. You order at the counter. Decor hasn't changed in 50 years or more but good food.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Good home style meals. Great ham, Beef and Pork ribs, chicken. Sides are mac salad or cole slaw. Clean, including bathrooms. Nice staff, friendly. One of my favorites in San Diego. Try the beef ribs, they are really good.

Reviewed 13 July 2013

My family didn't eat out much when I was a kid but my mother (as a treat) would bring home 1/2 beef and 1/2 ham with sides of cole slaw and beans (and the ever present side of sauce).We wolfed it all down, with no leftovers. My grandfather used to eat there for lunch several times a week for years. Now my dad eats there for lunch.
Fast forward 40 years later, my family still eats there. Just like my mother, I come home with the same items with the same end result.
The staff are all very nice- this restaurant is one of the icons of National City. (How could I not give it 5 stars when I was at the grand-reopening, with my grandfather 33 years ago when I was Miss National City?)
Enjoy!

Reviewed 6 November 2012

This place has been here so long that we remember coming here 30 years ago. We went back recently and they still serve a fine barbecue sandwich for a great deal. Some of the sides and desserts are standard cafeteria fare, but the cream pies are excellent.

1  Thank cindil0uredhat