1,465 results
All reviewsoutdoor showerboon flyhilltop poolharvest cottagehilltop restaurantthe cottagesboonfly cafefire pitprivate backyardheated floorsadult poollounge chairstrailer parkwine countryfamily poolglass of winebeautiful property
Reviewed 13 August 2018 via mobile

Good checkin - clear instructions, warm welcome & prompt transfer to room
Room- shame no really hot water. Lukewarm run at best. Fabulous room though and private garden just lovely
Food: fabulous
Service : inconsistent! Felt I was interrupting at farm shop as staff chatting and I was ignored. Very different at bar, restaurant, boon fly. These were great.

Make the water hot & I shall return

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 August 2018

For our first visit to Napa, we had high expectations for this resort at $600+/night, but sadly it didn't come close to meeting them.

When we got to the cottage, we immediately noticed a few things. The first was that it was so small and tight, there was no suitable place to put your luggage (this is a resort after all--guests are expected to stay a few days). There was no glass/door around the shower (so taking a shower meant water got everywhere), and there were stains/shoe-prints all over the floors. We called housekeeping to have someone come out to clean the floors, but no one ever showed. We later walked out on the back patio, and almost stepped on a 4" screw. Nice.

The next day, we were getting ready for breakfast and I noticed that the air vent for the AC was completely caked in dust/dirt. To think we were breathing that junk in all night really frustrated us to the point where we had to bring it up with management. Simply put, the room we were initially placed was in no condition to be used for guest use. The manager we spoke to was very understanding and quickly moved to a larger cottage and threw in a bottle of wine for our trouble. Cool!

The Harvest cottage was much more spacious, cleaner, and had a more enjoyable back patio (with gas fire pit, lounge chairs, and an outdoor tub). Compared to the previous cottage, the old cottage's back yard was next to useless.

Not that it's that important to our overall experience, but one thing that was consistent between the two rooms worth mentioning: no one paid attention to (or cared about) the details in these rooms. Light switches and fixtures are all different colors/types with a mix of old & new--a result of cutting corners during renovations, for sure. One of the windows in our new cottage was broken and wouldn't close. We also noticed various key things were missing from the rooms (iron/ironing board, soap, wine opener, etc), resulting in more calls to housekeeping. Just a bunch of smaller issues you wouldn't expect to see at a luxury resort that resulted in multiple housekeeping calls (which weren't always remedied).

On the second to last day, no one ever came to clean our room despite having the request service light turned on. The next morning, we noticed that there was no TP or shower soap, resulting in yet another call to housekeeping. Our keys stopped working two hours before check-out, resulting in yet another call to the front desk.

As for the restaurants at the resort, we had mixed experiences. My wife ordered a $30 martini (!!!) at the Farm's outdoor lounge, and our server disappeared for almost 30 minutes before he arrived with our drinks. At the Hilltop, service was consistently slow (food orders often had a 30+ minute wait). We overheard one of the servers mention that there was only one person working in the kitchen for the entire restaurant and pool area. All of the staff we interacted with at the resort were very nice, but it's pretty apparent that they are understaffed, under-trained, or both. The exception was Boon Fly Cafe for breakfast (get the donuts!) and Farm for dinner (get the porterhouse!). The service and food was generally excellent at both spots.

The spa was recently renovated and is very nice, but wayyy overpriced for what you get (a 90 min deep tissue will run you almost $300). The only amenity available is a steam room--nothing else. The high priced massages and lack of other spa amenities means this spa should be skipped. If you want a better spa experience for your money, there are plenty of better places to go in town.

The rest of the resort was mostly a disappointment. The heated pool was nice and had great views of the valley, but was noticeably dirty the entire week. The inside of the hot tub had the color of green algae (one other guest I met said she wouldn't step foot in it). There are a number of rat traps visible all around the property, and some areas of the resort appeared unkempt, while others were perfectly manicured. I also noticed an open electrical panel with exposed wiring on the outside of one of the cottages. I stopped by the front desk to inform them, but three days later, it still wasn't fixed. Some folks would call that a fire or safety hazard.

Overall we would not go back to Carneros, as it seems the new management at Carneros is simply dropping the ball. We really wanted to enjoy the resort, as it offers a nice location on the outskirts of town with great views of Napa and friendly staff, but unfortunately, the lack of good service, attention to detail, apparent disregard for guest safety/comfort and high price will leave us going elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joe M
Edward C, Managing Director at Carneros Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2018

Dear Joe M,
I am disappointed to learn that your experience was not to our standard and I apologize that the service you received felt inconsistent. I have followed up with our team to address the concerns mentioned in the cottages. While negative feedback is not always easy to hear, it is incredibly helpful and provides tremendous insight for us to improve. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 7 August 2018

It's crazy to read some of these negative reviews, cause our experience here was fantastic. We have stayed at some of the nicer hotels in the world, and came into this resort with very high expectations, expectations that were met. stayed at the harvest cottage and it was beautiful. Loved the patio with the fountain, outdoor shower (used every night) and we had smore's supplies delivered that we roasted on the outdoor fireplace. It was so quiet, could see the stars at night, and the robes were super comfy, and loved the large bottles of orange lavender body wash.

We commuted the grounds with awesome bikes that were provided for the guests. rode them to the pool, to dinner, just around - so much fun. Had no issues with getting food without waiting, ate at boonfly and the Farm, and the market for breakfast which had great coffee and good, fast breakfast food.

People that complain I think are just entitled, cracks me up to read these pretentious reviews of people that start out talking about how much money they spent to stay here. The ONLY thing I can possibly think of complaining about was that at the Farm last night, we were told that there were no res till 8, and we watched three tables in front of us that were empty by the time we got there and when we left.

We will def be back.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scott F
Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

Nope.

We have stayed here every year for many years. This year we had several red flags which made us question the resort. Later we discovered that the property is under new ownership and management. It is very noticeable. What used to be a fantastic family getaway has become a nightmare.

My sister checked into her cottage and there was literally NO SHOWERHEAD. I checked in to my cottage and not only had the room not been fully serviced (toiletries and towels were missing), there were no dog bowls, even though these had been requested well in advance. I called to request service, which never happened. After dinner, I asked again, and still, the hotel failed to service our room.

In total, the hotel failed to deliver on three separate occasions to deliver dog bowls to the room. In addition, they ran out of wine glasses at the pool, and the quality of the towels has significantly diminished.

After years of being loyal Carneros resort guests, we are done. We will be staying elsewhere in the future.

Do not stay here!

Additionally, there was no soap in our room. The toiletries that were in the shower had pumps that did not function. This problem was not isolated to one room, it occurred in several. There were HOLES in the towels! No spoon or mixing sticks for the coffee... need I continue? This place has truly unfortunately gone way, way down hill.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
3  Thank AbeP2
Edward C, Managing Director at Carneros Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2018

Dear Abe P,
I am disappointed to hear about your experience on property. The type of service you describe is certainly not our standard and I apologize for the inconvenience caused. I have carefully reviewed your feedback with my team to ensure you and other guests do not encounter a similar experience. I have spoken with the appropriate department heads to ensure that our team addresses the concerns in the cottage as well as utilizes your feedback to improve. We hope to have the opportunity for you to join us again so that we can regain your confidence.

Reviewed 2 August 2018

Great place to stay. Clean, comfortable and charming. Front desk staff is amazing. Quiet too. All you need is right there, but you can easily travel around to other restaurants and of course the winery.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Edward C, Managing Director at Carneros Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2018

Dear pwhitty,
Thank you for sharing this wonderful review. I am pleased you enjoyed the location of the property and were able to visit some of the nearby wineries and restaurants. I have shared your positive feedback with the team. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back.