See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 13 May 2015

So, you just need a place to crash for the night... and you are so tired that you won't remember the condition of the building, then this place is for you.

This INN is listed as a Hotel, but it is by all accounts a Motel. No shampoo etc in the shower and no one at the office to help.

I'm glad I negotiated a cheaper rate.

Don't stay here when in Mount Shasta.

• Stayed: May 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank Ron P
Reviewed 21 September 2014

We had a 2 double bed room reserved and were upgraded to a 2 queen room. The room was clean, but in need of cosmetic upgrades. Newer LED TV with fridge and microwave. Good place if you are not worried about the little details. Just nice.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 June 2013

On the way back from Death Valley, it was getting late and everyone in the party was getting dog tired. We picked a likely motel name at random from the list that Garmin gave us for the next town: the Pine Needles Motel. Apparently since the last time my GPS was updated, the motel underwent a rebranding to the current name: The A-1 Choice Inn.

Looking about the other reviews here on Trip Advisor, I'm not sure why everyone is so down on the motel. Admittedly it's a little old and rough around the edges, but it seemed fine enough. The beds were clean and reasonably firm. The pillows were a bit on the thin and tepid side, but there were no stains on the sheets nor any pubic hairs in the bed. Perhaps I just got lucky? Perhaps the management saw the reviews and cleaned up their act? Either way, I saw no evidence of the problems in the other reviews.

As far as the showers go, the water pressure was really weaksauce, and was very hard to get the shower head to reach your legs.

The room was reasonably clean (although we did get a Mystery Pill in the drawer with the Gideon's Bible. Is someone telling us something?) The television was an older Zenith from the 90's (does Zenith even exist anymore?) and there was both a microwave and a small fridge. There was a bit of road noise from the highway (only to be expected) but it died off around midnight. The fridge was reasonably quite after a short compressor start up.

That said - there is a heavy use train line RIGHT across from the motel and there were some extremely long, extremely noisy freight trains passing in the night, blowing their extremely loud horns as they come to the various Mount Shasta crossings. We might have gotten lucky, getting two trains back to back about 11 o'clock and then nothing for the remainder for the evening until about seven the next morning (that of we were so tired that nobody noticed the later trains) however this may have just us hitting a fluke in the magic window of scheduling. Unless you're a heavy sleeper, don't care about freight trains in your living room or have industrial strength earplugs, I would keep this in mind when booking a room.

All in all, the motel wasn't a bad value - 90 bucks for 3 adults at the end of May. The motel wasn't bad, but the location of the train tracks and the potential constant stream of freight trains prevent me from ranking this motel very highly at all. But if you can get around the locomotive engines noise, it's not a bad motel. I wouldn't stay here again, but don't regret the one night spent under their roof. Just be mindful of the trains.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tardis-Geek
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We checked in very late calling ahead briefly before check-in to make a reservation. We had not planned on staying at a hotel in Mount Shasta and did not take the time to research our choice. Big Mistake. My husband said he called many places before this one but they were full. When we arrived we were so tired we did not fully investigate but went straight to bed. In the morning we discovered that there wasn't any shampoo. I went to the office to ask for shampoo and the woman at the front desk pulled out a bucket of used bottles left by previous travelers. She seemed to be considering which one I was worthy of and took an unusual amount of time considering which one to give me. The bottom of the shower had icky water puddles. And the place was very old and appeared unclean and smelled like an ash tray. The sheets also smelled like ash tray.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Delancy1
Reviewed 2 March 2011

This motel is not a good choice especially in winter. The room was very cold and the heater worked but was very noisy. The room is not furnished very well and not particularly inviting. The price for what we got was not good. Look elesewhere.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple