“Views are great, food is good”

Ranked #5 of 107 Restaurants in Morro Bay
Price range: US$16 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, View, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Located on the water in the Morro Bay, Windows on the Water celebrates the finest the Central Coast of California has to offer. Fresh, local and sustainable ingredients, an extensive wine and beer list of local and international labels, the best in local musicians each Monday, Thursday and Saturday night, and arguably the most dramatic view on the coast. Join us in the bar for a drink and bar specials and dinner nightly from our menu created by our award-winning executive chef, Neil Smith.
Reviewed 27 May 2018

We often go here for the "bar specials", it rotates but includes oyster night, slider night, and several others.
Resturant meals are good, but rarely change, it appears as fine dining and is good but somethings lacking. Please don't get me wrong, it's a good restaurant.

Reviewed 1 May 2018

Windows is the place to go for view, food, and atmosphere. It is elegant and lovely, romantic, and delicious! It is the place I always use when I need to buy a dinner gift certificate, everyone loves Windows on the Water. And don't miss Martini Night!

1  Thank Leslie M
Reviewed 27 April 2018

We had really looked forward to dining here based on the reviews, and were sorely disappointed. The sand dabs, which were touted as a signature dish, were not fresh; they arrived smelling fishy. The beef was tough, not at all worth the premium charged for it. Our server was harried, despite the restaurant being only about a third full. As the sun went down, surely a daily event, customers were putting on sunglasses and hats, and squinting in the glaring sun. You would think the staff would see this and respond to it immediately, but they did not do anything until someone asked specifically to have the blinds lowered. Finally, our inept server brought the bill to us before we had finished our meal. Fine dining is supposed to feature good food, good service, and a relaxing and unhurried meal. We found none of this here.

1  Thank LandCruisers
WindowsGM, General Manager at Windows on the Water, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2018

Hello

I want to sincerely apologize for the unpleasant incident you had at our restaurant. Your comments were most troubling but I want to unequivocally thank you for bringing this to my attention. Without your feedback I might never have known of it.

It is our highest priority to provide our guests with an exceptional dining experience and in this instance we certainly failed to do this. What you experienced is totally unacceptable and we have already taken steps to ensure that this does not happen in our restaurant again.

While I cannot change the past, I would like to invite you back as my personal guest so that we can show you that we really can do a much better job than what you experienced. Please email me directly at paul@windowsmb.com

Once again, please accept our sincere apology for this unfortunate incident and thank you for letting us know about it.

Best regards,

Paul Merkle

Reviewed 20 April 2018

Windows on the Water is THE place to go for fine dining in Morro Bay. It’s pricier than most of the other establishments in town, but well worth it.

First, there's the location: it sits on the upper level of the embarcadero and overlooks the bay and Morro Rock (sunsets are particularly beautiful, with boats moored in the bay in the foreground and the Rock looming across the water - just make sure to ask for a window table when making reservations, because it can get very busy).

Second, the food and service are top-notch: the menu is not too extensive, but this is because the owners source locally and change the menu with the seasons; the wine list showcases many local wines and leans heavily on California selections, but other wines are also available. The food is beautifully presented, as well. My partner and I have eaten here many times and have never been disappointed. Favourites include the mushroom risotto, the pan-seared Diver scallops, the local sand dabs and the grilled rack of lamb. Salads are great and they also have a wood-fired oven for pizza if that’s your craving, and an oyster bar that features many different varieties (Tuesday is 75-cent oyster night and usually has people lined up at the door 15-20 minutes before the 5:00 PM opening - be warned!)

Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

This was a return visit with friends from the local area. Our first visit was so enjoyable, we eagerly made reservations for another birthday dinner. Unfortunately, it was a bit of a disappointment. My husband's halibut was dry, the spinach looked and tasted like it was out of a can, and the stewed tomatoes had no flavor. I had the scallops, which were ok, but the polenta was cold and clumped together like cold grits. If I'm going to spend money on an expensive meal, it should be excellent or at least, very good, that wasn't the case last night.

1  Thank Linda C
WindowsGM, General Manager at Windows on the Water, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

Dear Linda,

I want to sincerely apologize for the unacceptable meal you were served at our restaurant. Providing our guests with high quality, delicious food is one of our highest priorities. I am very sorry that your meal did not live up to the level of quality that our guests have come to expect from our restaurant.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. Your feedback is extremely important and will help us correct the situation that allowed food that was not up to our standards to be served.

Once again, please accept our sincere apology and thank you for letting us know about this incident.

Best regards,