“Birthday Dinner”

Windows on the Water
Ranked #5 of 107 Restaurants in Morro Bay
Price range: US$16 - US$30
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: View, Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located on the water in the Morro Bay, Windows on the Water celebrates the finest the Central Coast of California has to offer. Fresh, local and sustainable ingredients, an extensive wine and beer list of local and international labels, the best in local musicians each Monday, Thursday and Saturday night, and arguably the most dramatic view on the coast. Join us in the bar for a drink and bar specials and dinner nightly from our menu created by our award-winning executive chef, Neil Smith.
Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

This was a return visit with friends from the local area. Our first visit was so enjoyable, we eagerly made reservations for another birthday dinner. Unfortunately, it was a bit of a disappointment. My husband's halibut was dry, the spinach looked and tasted like it was out of a can, and the stewed tomatoes had no flavor. I had the scallops, which were ok, but the polenta was cold and clumped together like cold grits. If I'm going to spend money on an expensive meal, it should be excellent or at least, very good, that wasn't the case last night.

1  Thank Linda C
WindowsGM, General Manager at Windows on the Water, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

Dear Linda,

I want to sincerely apologize for the unacceptable meal you were served at our restaurant. Providing our guests with high quality, delicious food is one of our highest priorities. I am very sorry that your meal did not live up to the level of quality that our guests have come to expect from our restaurant.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. Your feedback is extremely important and will help us correct the situation that allowed food that was not up to our standards to be served.

While I cannot change the past, I would like to invite you back as my personal guest so that we can show you that we really can do a much better job than what you experienced. Please email me directly at paul@windowsmb.com

Once again, please accept our sincere apology and thank you for letting us know about this incident.

Best regards,

Paul Merkle
Windows on the Water

Reviewed 6 April 2018

Beautiful Restaurant and view. Throuroughly enjoyed me Swordfish, it's presentation and the wine pairing. Great evening!

Reviewed 2 April 2018

Great views of the bay. Be sure to reserve a window table. Seafood is great. One of my party had a flat iron steak unlike any I have ever seen, looked like a filet, sliced like a roast, and my taste was very tasty.

Unusual abalone medallion salad but just a teaser not a meal.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

If you go for the atmosphere alone, you will not be disappointed. A little on the pricey side, but well worth the price. Perfect for a first Anniversary or any Anniversary dinner. A great selection of wines to make the meal perfect. Give it a try during Restaurant Month (January) and splurge for the wine flight with the meal.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

The bag here is decidedly mixed — the experience can run from "truly commendable" to "not recommendable". On average it warrants a "not bad" but there are potential "not good" problems in the dining experience.

First, the location and the views are wonderful. The ambiance is very nice, with a higher end feel to it. The service is personable, attentive and informative. On the night we were there, they were hosting a featured wine tasting, so we were able to taste the featured wines before ordering. The featured wines from the Onyx winery were excellent. The bread served before and with dinner was very good.

The menu offers a decent selection. Our family group ordered the lobster and linguini pasta, the hanger steak, halibut, scallops, crab cake, and clam chowder. The clam chowder, pasta, and scallops were very good — but nothing particularly out of the ordinary. The halibut and hanger steak were okay but the kitchen tried to do too much with the plates in terms of the potatoes, vegetables and sauces that accompanied the main dish. As soon as those two dishes were served, the presentation of was not very appealing. Those who ordered those dishes ate the fish and the steak, but left most everything else on the plate. Unfortunately, the crab cake was almost inedible. The aioli on top tasted like a petroleum product while the cake itself had almost no taste.

If you order wisely, you may well enjoy your evening. We found that the odds of ordering wisely were about 50/50. Therefore, the odds of us returning here are similar — about 50/50.

1  Thank jonr105