“Tasty Burmese treat”

Yoma
Ranked #98 of 181 Restaurants in Monterey Park
Cuisines: Burmese
Reviewed 28 October 2015 via mobile

I've seen this tiny restaurant front on Garvey Blvd for many years. My sister had bought a Groupon for $1 order of Samosas a while back so we decided to try dinner at Yoma. We've never had Burmese food but we were pretty impressed. We ordered a Sour Leaf dish, Fish curry, Tea Leaf salad, a House special vegetable w/ chicken noodle dish plus our samosas. The noodle dish reminded us of home cooked noodles and not too greasy. The tea leaf salad had really good flavor. The fish curry was different from the usual Thai or Indian curry, it was resist in color and not too spicy, but quite tasty. The sour leaf dish reminded us of a dish our grandmother would make which was also quite flavorful eaten with steamed rice. Our samosas were also really good, but a little rich since they were deep fried. We've decided we need to eat there again to try other dishes. It's a small quaint place, but we saw there was another dining area in the back, so it's better for individuals, couples or small families or groups.

Reviewed 15 July 2015

I asked for recommendations and went with fried tofu (#7) and Shan noodle with soft tofu (#22).

The "Burmese tofu" is definitely interesting. The lady there, whom I presumed to be the owner, explained that it was made with "yellow beans" (I think the same kind of beans as bean sprouts) instead of soy beans. The consistency of the tofu is much closer to custard than what you would normally associate with tofu (even soft tofu). This makes the dishes quite adventurous to eat since #7 is basically deep fried custard and #22 is basically noodles in custard (instead of soup).

Don't get me wrong, the food is delicious! But it's not your typical tofu or noodle dish. Everything also tastes extra rich and creamy, maybe because of the custard-like texture, that I was totally full after making my way through perhaps 1/3 of my food.

I think the combination I ordered was also more appropriate for winter (the fried tofu had a spicy sauce and the noodle was piping hot), instead of mid-summer, when I went. But I am intrigued by what I already had and I'm ready to go back and try other dishes.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

I love interesting cuisine, and this was the first time I tried Burmese. I have lived in India and visited Thailand nine times in the past two years. The food here is well made. Order the tea leaf salad, a national dish (does contain peanuts). The goat curry has good flavor as well. My wife's coconut noodle soup was also excellent. Be prepared for a hole in the wall feel to the place and bring an experimental appetite.

Reviewed 16 July 2009

I have had Burmese food but this was as if they are out to give Burmese food a bad name. All the dishes were over salted and over spiced - like really flaming HOT!
The chicken dish had huge chunky bone peices and made in thick oil with hardly any chicken meat. The shrimp was cooked with the skin on and again in a red heavy oil but small size shrimp. The prices were fine and the restaurant service lady was fine but if the Chef does not know how to cook then I am not going back! We had to leave our food after a few bites because our insides were on fire!!

Reviewed 23 December 2008

Not the best Burmese food.
but it is OK for non Burmese.
Very small space.