“Great”

Ocean Sushi Deli
Ranked #89 of 318 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: Deli
Reviewed 30 October 2017 via mobile

Wow, this place is such a refreshing change to most of the American food we had on our road trip. It was also only the second gluten free menu that could be produced on request.
The food was freshly prepared using great ingredients that had its flavours enhanced with additional marinating.
We loved the genuine Japanese feel and the service. Food for four with two small sake was around $70 which also made it great value. ramen, sushi and donburi were all excellent.

Reviewed 30 October 2017

I drove by this place on my way to get my nails done and walked there after my appt. You order at the counter then they serve your food. I sat at the bar. The person taking my order was pretty new and had a difficult time answering a couple of questions about their vast menu. It you have a minute to study the menu on line or sitting at a table, its a good idea. I had gyoza, which were tasty, and a teriyaki rice bowl. It was a very solid meal, chicken was perfect and not too sweet. The bowl could have used a few more veggies, but that is likely my fault because I said no broccoli. Non fussy atmosphere and excellent food.

Reviewed 23 October 2017

Ocean Sushi is where we go the night before we leave on a trip, and also, where we go when we get back into town because there is little food in the fridge. We also go there whenever we are too tired to cook, or someone doesn't want to do dishes. We probably go 3-4 times a month because the food is delicious, the service is usually pretty fast, and we can be in and out in a fairly short time.
We've had sushi, but also the curry, tofu dishes, noodles, domburi (rice bowls), and bento boxes. It's a homey place for us. Give it a try if you are in Monterey.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Would eat here every day if I lived here! We got the Sashimi bento box, which came with Miso soup, rice and salad and a generous portion of Sashimi. Great basic Japanese food where the locals come. Huge menu selection with reasonable prices. We don't have anything quite like this in San Francisco.
They even have a small food section with everything from Pocky to Red Shell Miso dressing.
This seems to be a well kept secret, so don't tell anyone!

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed 19 June 2017 via mobile

This was a delightful find. They have a fascinating collection of Japanese snacks, candy, food, and of course sushi. Tea and water are on the house, self service, and the food you order from the counter before finding your own seat.

This place is small and feels a little crowded. There is not much in the way of service but overall I was pleased with the quality of the food and the atmosphere in general. I will visit again.

Date of visit: June 2017