2,085 results
All reviews wood burning fireplace window seat wine and cheese silver tray ocean view rooftop garden cannery row canopy bed welcome home valet parking continental breakfast corner room romantic hotel hardwood floors breakfast delivered street side each afternoon
Reviewed 23 September 2017

We have stayed at Spindrift many times and recommended it to others due to the high standard of service and amenities. However, it is slipping. The front desk staff seem pleasant and say the right things but their body language is negative. The room is lovely and the wine social is a nice touch. But the staff don't seem happy in thei work and no-one asked us if we enjoyed our stay when we left - small things but they affect the overall experience. Our major annoyance is that we have enquired three times since we have left about some lost property and we have had no response, totally ignored. In fact, they're the only hotel we have stayed at where feedback is not asked for. This hotel really does take its customers for granted. Sad to say but I don't think we'll return.

1  Thank 499joy
Reviewed 22 September 2017

Since we had previously enjoyed our stay at the Spindrift Inn, my husband and I decided to splurge on a suite for our anniversary. When booking the property and requesting a high floor, the reservation agent neglected to tell me that there was only one suite at the hotel that was located on the first floor right next to the business center. We only found this out upon arrival. Had I known this in advance, I never would have stayed at this property. This room was more of an accessible apartment and less of a suite. Two rooms were totally useless and the balcony looked onto the beach access so it was unuseable unless you wanted to be on display. Upon arriving, one of the bathroom lights was out--something that should have been dealt with before we arrived. When fixed the next day, it still didn't give off enough light. Sleeping at night was another problem. We were told to open the windows if we were hot as this property has no air conditioning. Upon doing so, we could hear people partying until all hours of the night, I must say that having breakfast delivered to our room was a nice touch even though there didn't seem to be enough room for the tray. For the price we paid for this supposedly deluxe "suite", I expected a lot more.

Room Tip: Do not book the suite. The ocean view rooms on the higher floors are charming.
Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Scarlett199
Reviewed 22 September 2017

My wife and I have been staying at the Spindrift for for years while coming to the Monterey Jazz Festival. This trip we booked 5 nights in a King room facing the bay. The sound from the beach when you open your windows is priceless, and with a third floor room we had a great view. I've never stayed in their Cannery Row facing rooms, which are cheaper, because for me the attraction has always been that sound and view on the ocean side. The feather bed in our room needed replacing. There are two big holes where people have slept on it and a big ridge between the two holes. The housekeeping staff is the most obtrusive of any I've ever encountered. They leave carts and trash in common areas, including the pretty lobby. They clean the elevator while you are on it. They force you to ride the elevator down with them to the basement when you want to go up. The hallways are narrow, and just one cart left there is obtrusive, but in the mornings it feels like an obstacle course. The quality of the free breakfast delivered to the room has deteriorated over the years. You can choose toast or breakfast bread, yogurt, one boiled egg, choice of three cereals, sliced cheese, and fruit. That's it. They don't even offer oatmeal anymore. The tea water is delivered in coffee carafes that reek of coffee, making the water unusable for tea. We complained about this almost every morning either to the front desk or in writing with our breakfast order. On two of the five mornings they brought the water in new-ish carafes that didn't smell as bad, but one of those mornings the water was just warm. So, we only got our tea one of the five mornings. There are no saucers with the tea cups, either. They need a proper tea service with a tea pot, cups, and saucers. Milk for the cereal was delivered in glasses instead of a pitcher 4 of the 5 mornings, making it a mess to pour the milk into a cereal bowl. The knife delivered with the service is a butter knife, even though we never ordered the bread and needed a real knife to cut the fruit, such as the tough pineapple slices. These folks just really have no clue about how to present a decent breakfast platter. The breakfast was 20 minutes late one morning and 15 minutes early another (both outside the 15 minute delivery windows by that much). One morning the free paper was not delivered. The internet was terribly intermittent and we had to constantly log back on when kicked off. The mini fridge had exactly three cans of coke, two bottles of apple juice, and eight bottles of water. Really? Mini fridges are better stocked in the lowest end hotels. The front desk staff was superficially friendly enough and listened to complaints, but was never proactive. We were not even asked how our stay was when we checked out. I sure hope they get their act together, because the location is awesome.

4  Thank Colin C
Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

The spindrift hotel was a lovely experience from beginning to the end. Our room was wonderful, paid for a cannery row view, they gave us the end room on the second floor which faces the ocean and the street. Very nice room, comfortable bed, and a real fireplace, with doors that opened out to the ocean breezes. Our stay was unfortunately too short, but we will go back. It was in walking distance of everything on Cannery Row.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2017

You can't get a better ocean view room without getting wet. I could have stayed in the room all day if need be, but the shops and restaurants just outside the door drew me out for some much needed recreational shopping and nibbling. We enjoyed having our breakfast and paper delivered at the time we'd requested in the mornings. That was a very nice touch. In addition the bar/restaurant adjoining the hotel became our favorite landing spot after a day of shopping and sightseeing.