“Many plusses”

Ranked #2 of 11 Monterey B&B and Inns
Canada, Kentucky
“Many plusses”
Reviewed 15 October 2011

My husband and I stayed here in October for one night. One of the things I really like was the availability of snacks at all times of day. The early evening wine and cheese tasting had all sorts of snacks besides cheese and crackers. There was a bruschetta topping, an artichoke dip, olives, and raw vegetables. The guests seemed to feel comfortable mingling in the front living room. In that room, there was a restaurant menu book for guests to peruse, as well as coffee table travel books, a piano, a kaliedoscope, and a few gift items available for purchase. You could also purchase the wine they served in the evening to take with you.
There was a side room with tea and coffee and little cookies and butterscotch squares, and another room with cold drinks in it, like cranberry juice, pineapple juice, iced tea, and various sodas. These two rooms were available 24 hours. Also, when we got home from dinner, there were some raspberry truffles inside the front door of the main house.
The inn has various sections, the main house and then some other back buildings out the back door and through the lovely garden. We stayed in the Chawton room, which was out the back, and you feel like you have no neighbours. The picture you see on the website is really the size of the full room, except there is an upholstered bench on the right. The bathroom is quite large, as is the whirlpool tub. One problem with that room is that the cold water tap in the sink turns opposite to most washrooms, and is very difficult to turn. Perhaps they will get that fixed. One other thing I should mention is that the owner seems to like scents, and the room comes with a scented aerosol can that you can purchase. I don't usually like scented rooms, but this scent didn't bother me. The soap for the whirlpool was too strong for my nose (but I travel with my own soaps, because I am so sensitive). The last thing I will say about the room is that the mattress seems to slope down on both sides. For one person sleeping in the center of the bed, it would be comfortable, but for two people, you both feel a little like you might fall out. (Solution - Cuddle closer!)
The breakfast was a fruit and yogurt parfait, followed by a baked deep french toast, with a cream cheese layer and the sweet syrup baked on top. A couple of the guests thought that the entree was too rich, and they were offered eggs and toast instead. The hostess was accommodating to my allergies and preferences, which I appreciated very much.
There is enough parking for all the guests, some at the front and some at the back. When we checked out, we were given a little snack for the road with our receipt. A+ for food service! Overall, a nice place, and we might go back if we are in the area again, but I might try a different room.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Traveller2702
IIInkeeper, Owner at Old Monterey Inn, responded to this review, 15 November 2011
We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us at the Old Monterey Inn. We always appreciate comments and suggestions from our guests. I checked the faucet in Chawton, and sure enough it was not operating as easily as it should; we have replaced the faucet. Thank you for the opportunity to make the OMI even better. We look forward to your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Camarillo, California
Reviewed 23 September 2011

It was a vacation, 50th birthday, get out of town trip. Destination unknown! But I knew we had to see and stay at the Old Monterey Inn during our road trip. It was the only thing that we had made reservations for. What can you say, Beautiful grounds, Amazing breakfast. And the rooms, Wow! Romantic, great location. Close to Cannary Row. Extremely clean and staff was very friendly. I was there and was able to met the owners, Katie and Lawrence niceeeeeeeee people. And in the main living room during evenings over wine and cheese (yummy). Met interesting guests from someone from as far as Japan to as local as San fransisco. I "will" be back to stay at the inn and Highly recommend to anyone who considers a night stay in Monterey. Check their website will give you an idea of this properies beautiful grounds.

Room Tip: The cottage has it's own entrance and small patio.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
North Carolina
Reviewed 19 September 2011

My husband and I just celebrated our 5th wedding anniversary at the OMI. I already can't wait to go back and know that when we do make the trip across the country back to the Monterey Penninsula there is no where else I want to stay. Katie and Lawrence are relatively new proprietors having purchased the Inn several months ago but i was incredibly impressed with their attention to detail, knowledge of the city, attractions, and restaurants. All three of their dinner recommendations were incredible and it was so easy getting around with their directions cards for everywhere we wanted to go.
We easily walked to Fisherman's Wharf (>15 mins) and around the bay as well as walked to dinner one night. The location was great- convenient to the 101 but right in the middle of a charming historic (and quiet) neighborhood.
I rarely leave comments on TA but I had to after our time at the Old Monterey Inn. Enjoy!!

Room Tip: We were in the Ashford Suite and it was wonderful. There is an attached sitting room with a wood-bu...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Dhahran, KSA
Reviewed 18 September 2011

My husband and I drove up from LA to spend a romantic weekend at the Monterey Inn. It was fantastic, We had a snug little room with seperate entrance and a gas fireplace that we kept on all night to ward off the chill. Coffee, hot chocolate, and biscotti were left at our door by 8AM each morning. The french toast and waffle breakfasts were delicious. We enjoyed the wines and snacks in the living room at 4:00 also.
The staff was very helpful and outgoing. The Victorian home and grounds are simply stunning! We definitely plan to go back!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I chose this location from a tip in Patricia Schultz' book "1,000 places to see before you die.' My husband and I were only in Monterey for one night and because weekends typically require two-night bookings, we could only get into a room that hadn't been reserved by the Thursday of our impending weekend visit. That said, we didn't have but two rooms to choose from.

The room we opted for was the "Stonleigh". Rates run between$319-$349

The room's description on the Old Monterey Inn website reads: "This airy room with a private entrance features an inviting whirlpool tub for two, surrounded with natural tumbled marble pebbles which are reflected in the hand painted faux art walls. The fireplace may be enjoyed from the softly draped canopied king bed. A sitting area with two comfy chairs."

The reality is that it's a litte small and right next to the parking lot so you get the noise of people coming and going. That said, there's a cute 'sign-in' book that doubles as a 'mystery book' made up by quests that stay in the room. It's a funny read.

We liked that the hotel offered wine, cheese and snacks in the afternoon. We almost didn't need dinner!

One thing is that we asked for an extra hour in our room before checkout because of our schedule and it was denied. They really want you in and out!

Room Tip: Stay at least two nights on weekends
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank MBradbury33
IIInkeeper, Owner at Old Monterey Inn, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
We appreciate comments and suggestions from our guests, and we were sorry to learn that this particular guest was somewhat dissapointed with the location of their room. Stoneleigh is a highly requested room by many who enjoy the privacy of its location. In fact several long-standing repeat guests will only stay in Stoneleigh! Perhaps one of the rooms in our main house may have been more desirable to these guests, and we would look forward to providing them with a room location more to their preference on their next visit.

Meanwhile, it is always our goal to make every attempt to honor requests from guests such as late check outs, however; occasionally circumstances limit our ability to do so. On this particular weekend, as our guests mentioned, we were quite booked up, and an early check-in had already been requested by the next visitors to that room.

Again, we are commited to providing our guests the highest quality service, and we would look forward to another opportunity to provide these guests with the memorable experience we have become known for.

Katy and Lawrence Havlick