“If you have NEVER been to one of these, it's worth the experience”
Review of Benihana

Benihana
Ranked #122 of 317 Restaurants in Monterey
Price range: US$9 - US$43
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Steakhouse
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 17 October 2016

If you have ever been to the type of restaurant that cooks in front of you, you won't see anything new here. I really thought since Benihana was so well known for this type of dining, we were in for a treat. It was good, but no new tricks here. Our chef, Carlos, did the bare minimum. He also miscalculated the rice and my daughter, who was last, got barely any. He also forgot someone else's chicken and had to turn the grill back on after he had cleaned it. But the chef behind us was pretty amazing, or so my husband said, since he could see him. If you've never been, you will enjoy the show and food. But if you have and it was awesome, don't expect this place to outdo it. You'll be disappointed.

Reviewed 5 September 2016

My daughter and I decided to go here spontaneously after our whale watching excursion. So glad we went. I do remember there are stairs at the entryway so be ready for that. I do not recall wheelchair accessibility but they likely have it. We went at the perfect time of day around 4:30pm and it was happy hour. Everything on the menu was less expensive. Good service. Good food. I believe the bill was around $17 for both of us to each and be satisfied. Definitely recommend especially during the happy hours of 5-6:30pm daily. PS we had no alcoholic beverages on this trip.

1  Thank Chris S
Reviewed 16 August 2016

We love Benihana no matter where it is located. We come here every time we are in Monterey. It is relatively uncrowded and we have always gotten a table quickly. The cooks are showmen and the food is excellent. You'll have to get their phone number off the website is fou want to make reservations. According to Open Table they don't exist.

Reviewed 11 August 2016 via mobile

This was a spontaneous choice on passing as something a little different for the kids and we weren't disappointed. We sat at one of the grill tables. The food was good quality, plentiful and service was excellent. They were very accommodating with our vegetarian / fussy kid requests. Prices weren't too bad either. Good fun.

Reviewed 28 June 2016

We had a good time but we seemed to be forgotten a few times. Food was very good. My family had the steak and chicken, they were happy with it. I had vegetarian style, mine was also very good.