“Good standard fare”

China Garden
Ranked #135 of 318 Restaurants in Monterey
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 28 August 2016 via mobile

Great quick Chinese food with Chinese beer. Had two main dishes and a rice dish which was plenty as we couldn't take anything away with us. Service was incredibly prompt, the rice dish came first with a few minute wait for the other dishes - it would have been better if they had all come together. Chicken and beef were well prepared with no 'surprises'. Fresh vegetables thickly cut and really well cooked.

Waitress was lovely, happy and genuine. Very young lad who was obviously new was polite and attentive.

Great for a quick good value meal.

Date of visit: August 2016

Reviewed 13 August 2016

I brought friends from China here, halfway through the meal they exclaimed we are coming back tomorrow night!

Warm and friendly greeting and service, wonderful food both spicy and mild.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed 11 July 2016

This family run restaurant made me feel like a friend who had been coming here for years. Food was fresh and tasty, and reasonably priced. Enjoyed it so much I went back the following night.

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 3 May 2016 via mobile

Went here during lunch. The service was pretty good and the food was promptly cooked and brought to the table. I was honestly surprised by the speed.

I ordered the bbq pork chow mein and the Mongolian beef. The noodles in the chow mein were slightly undercooked and the Mongolian beef was lacking flavor....all I tasted was a lot of salt and a lot of heat. Typically you would expect more dimension and bold flavors in Asian cuisine.

Overall the food was decent and the prices were reasonable ($21 for both dishes). Not a bad place to go get your asian fix, but expect mediocre food.

Date of visit: May 2016
Reviewed 9 March 2016 via mobile

So I choose this restaurant for one reason and one reason alone. That reason being on a small island on the east coast of Canada called Prince Edward Island there is what I consider to be the best Chinese food ever at a place called China garden. I chose those place for nostalgia reasons, that being said the people working here are really nice people, and the place probably deserves a better rating based on
What we got. It just was not what I was used to at all, the egg Rolls would be what I call a spring roll, the chicken egg foo young is good but defiantly not what I've ever had before when ordering that dish. The fried rice was good, and the sweet and sour chicken was good but different.

All that being said the food was good, portion sizes were good and service was great. Price was good if it wasn't for the exchange rate.

Date of visit: March 2016