“Very nice - good service and good food”

Scales Seafood and Steaks
Reserve with OpenTable
Scales Seafood and Steaks is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 318 Restaurants in Monterey
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We were in Monterey for a couple of days and happened upon Scales as we were strolling around the wharf area. We took a couple of seats at the bar and Alfredo did a wonderful job bartending and serving. We started with a unique soft pretzel appetizer – filled with crab meat! Definitely large enough to share. Our entrees were pistachio crusted cod and sand dabs. Fish was cooked perfectly and very flavorful. We would visit again!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Walking into the restaurant as a party of 5 (4 plus a well behaved 2 year old) the first thing that was pointed out was the children policy. Well certainly not a children friendly restaurant, but then this seemed to be typical of a number of Monterey restaurants in the tourist spots. Once we said yes taken through to the restaurant, which was not that busy and seated and given menus

Server came across after a 5-10 minute wait and was quite pushy wanting us to order wine while trying to offer a discount on the apparent bottle price. He seemed to take offence when we said we were happy with iced water. We ordered our meals and then had quite a wait. I was the only one of the party having a starter, a cup of chowder, which eventually arrived, it was nice, I finished it and mains were brought out, these were nice, but then had a further wait for shellfish tools.

Three of the party finished mains and table was cleared leaving me to finish my crab, it felt like I was being rushed - even though the place was quiet. I finished and desert selection brought out. Three of the party had the chance to order but the server ignored my wife. Now while she did not want a desert the fact she did not have the chance to say no left her fuming. Server didn’t at any point acknowledge the mistake.

Deserts arrived and again were nice.

Overall nice food - but it should be for the prices charged, service awful particularly for an American restaurant. It’s a shame as the attitude of this place both through the children policy and the quality of the service left a sour taste.

Reviewed 31 October 2018

Yes, the hotel indicated this was one of their favorites on Fisherman's Wharf. I do not agree. First, the service was waaaaay awful. We had to wait to be acknowledged by a server. Also, I ordered steak because I'm not a seafood eater. Couldn't even bite into it soooo touch! I thank the restaurant for paying for my dinner. But was still very unsatisfied with the service!

Reviewed 28 October 2018 via mobile

At the wharf in Monterey, doesn't look much from the outside but great tables and views over the marina. We waited 20 mins for a window table on a Friday night, had a drink a the bar while waiting - happy hour all night! The servicecwas great, Lorraine quickly took our wine order and arranged free appetizers, fried calamari and artichokes. We all ordered a range of seafood from snapper, mahi mahi and shrimps, everything was delicious and beautifully presented. We weren't going to have desert however the cake tray was too tempting, coconut cake, tiramisu and creme brulee - yummy! The food, experience and price was so good we went back the following evening, that says it all.

Reviewed 27 October 2018 via mobile

We had an exceptional
Anniversary dinner while travelling to SAN Francisco. Our server Breanna was excellent- so attentive! The complimentary key lime pie for dessert was delicious! Service, food and ambience were all A+!