“Great Tempura”

Fumi Sushi Restaurant
Ranked #49 of 553 Restaurants in Modesto
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed 2 December 2015

Went here with friends fot lunch. I am not a big sushi fan, so we had teriyaki chicken and tempura vegetables. The lunch was very good and the tempera was excellent. Would definitely come back for more.

Reviewed 4 September 2015

We happened to arrive during happy hour, which meant the draft Sapporo and tasty appetizers such as the honey scallop were on special. This is a large and comfortable restaurant, originally a Tony Roma's rib joint. Service was friendly and attentive. We recommend the sashimi, the enagi, and the payday roll. The only dish that was off was the spicy calmari. It was beautifully made but they had added too much anchovy so it was too salty. My other criticism is their failure to have any craft beers available. Their beer selection is too limited.

Reviewed 2 September 2015 via mobile

Went w/ my family members from Hawaii. Even they thought the food was good quality, well portioned and a bargain price. Have been back several times since. Love the Asian style calamari as an appetizer, but my new favorite sushi is the "payday" roll. Large portions, fish eggs, tuna, spicy mayo, sticky rice and crab..... Mega Bomb!!! Thank-you MiChong for showing me the wasabi/soy/ginger trick! I LOVE WASABI!!!!

Reviewed 5 February 2015

I've eaten here many times. The sushi and sashimi are very good. The staff is helpful and will recommend things based on your preferences. They have a full bar and drinks are reasonable. I find the food very well priced too. If you're looking for affordable sushi in Modesto, come to Fumi Sushi.

Reviewed 21 November 2014 via mobile

Had a terrible sushi day in Modesto - went from worse to bad- this was our second stop after being horrified by the sushi and service at umi sushi up the road. When we arrived here we noticed it was packed which is hopefully a good sign that they are doing something right. We opted to sit at the bar where we were not greeted as three busy sushi chefs could not bother to make eye contact. We ordered drinks and miso from a friendly waiter and kept waiting for the big chef to look at us but that didn't happen. Next after being disappointed already once by bad sushi experience I impatiently started talking to this grumpy chef - I asked him "what's fresh today?", "do you have any specials", "do you guys have ankimo?" Which he grumply responded- "where do you think you are? This is Modesto"... I was shocked. We were shocked. Yes I know that Modesto doesn't have the highest popularity ranking nor does it have a foodie scene that I'm aware of (yes there are some great dining spots but not like a metropolitan city).. But to be grumpy and let that be your response to sushi loving customers does not make me want to sit down and eat there. Yes we are in Modesto- so let's make it an enjoyable experience - not mock it more and then expect to have people waiting to sit at a bar to have a grumpy sushi chef remind you that you are in Modesto- where obviously we can't have nice sushi. Ridiculous. We will not be back. We will not recommend this place. And as far as Modesto goes - let's hope we get some more positive people making our food. I will be reviewing some of the more positive restaurants (ie: Concetta, tresettis, etc...)

1  Thank foodie7079