“Interesting, delicious, subtle flavors”

Mama Coco Cocina Mexicana
Ranked #21 of 133 Restaurants in Menlo Park
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 11 September 2017

My husband and I recently had lunch here for the first time in a year. It was as good or even better than we remembered. The staff is friendly, cheerful, and attentive, and the young man who helped wait on our table reminded me of my son. Judging by the number of families with happy children dining here, they are very welcoming to kids. They even have toys for kids on the back patio.

The rooms are light and airy on a summer or early fall afternoon. The front and back doors are left open for the breeze, and the large windows let in light and present diners with an interesting street scene.

Even the "little" things are well done here. The chips are light and flavorful. The dishes are beautifully presented. The fish ceviche we shared was especially delicious. My husband had the carne asada, which he said was excellent, while I had the fish, which was just exquisite. The fish itself was light and flaky and moist -- just perfect. The sauce was delicate and smokey. The rice had a fragrant, warm flavor to it, and the sauteed vegetables would have been worth ordering for their own sake. The crispy jicama and mango add brightness and texture. I usually eat only half of what restaurants serve and save the leftovers, but this was so good I couldn't stop, even though the portions were very generous.

I see that there are some less than excellent reviews for this restaurant, but our experience has been really good. Keep in mind that this is not the "typical" California/Mexican restaurant cooking, but regional food less often encountered in our restaurants here. We're already looking forward to dining here again when we're next in the area.

Reviewed 28 June 2017

This is really good regional Mexican cooking from Sinaloa on the west coast of Mexico. Smoky sweet vegetarian burrito is huge (feeds two) and super delicious. Plate of four different tacos was equally tasty and large. Excellent horchata. When you consider the amount and quality of food served, this is a neighborhood gem.

Reviewed 25 June 2017

The food presented well when served, but it was too run of the mill taste -wise to warrant the price. Wish I could give a better review.

Reviewed 25 January 2017

Menlo Park is filled with truly excellent Mexican restaurants. This is not one of them. It is a totally average experience with adequate service and a selection of Cal/Tex/Mex standards. Prices are a tad bit high for the quality but not outrageous. The good news is that everyone in town knows it is average so you can always find a table, even on Friday nights when every other place in town has long waits.

Reviewed 15 December 2016

This restaurant accommodated our group of more than 30 people following a business meeting. The seating was a bit tight, and the restaurant became a bit loud, but the quality of the food and the hard-working staff made it worth it. I would definitely eat here again on my next trip to the area.