“The Refuge is great for craft beer and pastrami sandwich”
Review of The Refuge

The Refuge
Ranked #1 of 135 Restaurants in Menlo Park
Cuisines: Belgian
Reviewed 18 June 2018

The Refuge is great for craft beer and pastrami sandwich. Best pastrami sandwich I've found in the bay area. The salads are great too. The other sandwiches are probably also very good but I don't know because I always order the pastrami sandwich.

Reviewed 12 June 2018 via mobile

When I am near downtown Menlo Park, I have to go to the Refuge for a great selection of beers on tap and a Reuben Sandwich (Hot Pastrami). You better be hungry to order a full Reuben Sandwich, I did once but now I order half size that I think is about a half pound of pastrami!
There are a lot of other sandwich selections on the menu and lots and lots of beer choices!

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

I reviewed Refuge about 6 months ago and it still impresses. I went yet again with another person who’d never been there before and they loved it.

We both had the pastrami Reuben and shared goofy fries. Perfectly made and delicious every time.

Wanted to try the roasted red pepper soup but didn’t have it in me given the size of the sandwich...maybe next time.

Enjoyed the Belgian beers. I had la chouffe and my nephew enjoyed a Kwak.

It’s a great place for family and friends. It’s pretty small place and can get crowded... so maybe call ahead and get an idea if it’s a good time to stop in...particularly if you have s big group.

I generally sit at the bar and there always seems to be space for at least two.

This place is worth driving a little out of your way...especially if you enjoy good pastrami and Belgian beer on tap ... check it out.

Date of visit: May 2018
Reviewed 29 April 2018 via mobile

Short story: unmatched beers and incredible food, in a casual but classy pub atmosphere. The pastrami is the best you’ll find anywhere.

Longer story:
This place is that person who surprises you, that person who you thought was nice, and then they turn out to be fantastic. On first sight, Refuge is an upscale pub armed with a dozen taps and a clean, almost Euro feeling. The menu is admirable for beer lovers, with twice as many beers, lambics, ciders, goses, sours and kolshes than food offerings. There’s wine too. I think. Anyway, back to important stuff.

As someone who never got caught up in the “I can take more hops than you can” fad, I’m glad to say that microbrews here means more than flavored IPAs. Here, the sours are tart to sweet, the stouts are fragrant, in some cases syrupy, in others almost citrus. And the depth of the Belgians in oceanic. I’ve come here often, and I haven’t scratched to surface of the beer possibilities. Ciders, lambics, and meads as well!!

Ok, so the drinks are great. But unless you’re celebrating your Irish heritage (we Norwegians steer more towards spirits), you’re going to want something to eat. You’ve landed in a good place. A great place. Every item I’ve tried (and I can now say I’ve tried most of them) has been beyond my expectations. My only limiting issue is that there are some I love too much to even consider infidelity. The nachos are insane, the Brussels sprouts are stellar, and the burgers are far beyond excellent. Not the titanic orgies of the Dutch Goose or the Oasis (RIP), but artistic, beautiful, and subtle.

But I haven’t gotten to the best part: the pastrami. It even deserves its own paragraph!!! Nowhere does pastrami like Refuge. It is famous all across the Bay for good reason. The Reuben is the sandwich you wish would never end- even though it’s portioned to feed a family for all of sabbath and beyond! If you want to know why the pastrami is so good, ask about the eagle that is the establishment ‘s symbol- there is truly deep meaning, which makes enjoying this place not just fun, but relevant.

I live close and come here all the time. I only wish I came here more.

Reviewed 16 April 2018

The Refuge is a popular place. It probably has the best Belgian beer selection in the area, but also has other beers, including many craft beers, both in draught and bottled. The food is basic, but great basic (one of the best bread puddings I have had in a long time). The menu is not extensive, but enough interesting dishes to go with the classics. The service is fine although our dessert got waylaid for some reason. The tables are close together, and it is NOISY!! Hard to hear your dining companion across the table. Not only is it loud because of the beer-fueled conversation, but there is also some thumping background music that adds to the "fun" atmosphere, but only detracts from conversation. We would return again for the food, but not for a quiet, intimate dinner. Probably best with a party of four.