“Pastrami and beer haven near Palo Alto”
Review of The Refuge

The Refuge
Ranked #1 of 125 Restaurants in Menlo Park
Cuisines: Belgian
Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

Another long overdue review-I think Refuge has the best pastrami sandwich in the Bay Area and the fact that you can order it with a side of chicken liver is an awesome bonus. For the non-pastrami eaters, the carnitas sandwich is also a solid choice. Huge local and international beer selection( something for everyone).
Service is always friendly and prompt. Great spot for groups.

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

This place has been on my list of must try locations for awhile. The beer list was three pages so I asked the bartender and he got me a glass of beer that was exactly what I wanted. I order the pastrami sandwich and it was perfect. Better than those giant unbalanced sandwiches I have had in NYC.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

I'm a sucker for a pastrami sandwich and so when visiting Menlo Park I made a point of having lunch at The Refuge... This restaurant is quite spacious but cozy and had a fun ambiance and decor. The menu is all tempting but I opted for the Pastrami Sandwich. Whilst this was quite expensive for a sandwich (US$17.95 before tax) it was in my opinion worth every dime as it was most probably 'the BEST' pastrami sandwich I've ever eaten in the USA. If you love your meat, you'll lobe Refuge.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

Refuge is a great restaurant with great food. It can be a little loud on game nights but otherwise is a comfortable and fun place. Their pastrami is fantastic and can be had in either salad or sandwich form. For dessert you have to try their bread pudding. I don't even like bread pudding and I loved it.

The service is also very good. They use a bit of a team effort to cover tables. At other restaurants that have tried this, it has ended up that the "team approach" means you get ignored by a group of people, not just one. However, at The Refuge it works! You end up getting great service from a team of friendly and knowledgeable people.

The Refuge is a family favorite.

Reviewed 28 September 2017

Wow...the Reuben was super amazing. I was dining alone so I ordered a half of a sandwich; I could have ate the whole sandwich. So flavorful, and the pastrami was the best ever. I also ordered the Brussel sprouts; roasted and flavored with bacon....YUMMO.