“Hong Kong style Dim Sum, I'll be back soon!”
Review of Yum Cha Palace

Yum Cha Palace
Ranked #39 of 133 Restaurants in Menlo Park
Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

Excellent friendly service. As first timers we asked what to do and got friendly instructions and attentive service. When the waiter saw me looking at the order list, he kindly told me what was left to be served.

Food all outstanding. We ordered 9 different items to try them out. I loved 8 of 10 items.

I asked for Chinese chicken salad which was not on the menu. No problem! I think the waiter said it's usually a dinner menu item.

Items that are typically sweet were on the sweeter side, which is my preference. I had no desire to use soy sauce for anything. All food had its own scrumptious flavor.

Ordered items - names may not be exact.
Baked pork bun: the outside is a different recipe than the dough you might be accustomed to. However, even though they we not browned and an unexpected texture, they were scrumptious. Sweet.

Deep fried pork dumpling. Outside is crispy sweet dumpling wrap, inside a little bit of pork. Yummy. Sweet.

Shrimp dumpling. Flavorful. Good, I would order again.

Blossom Shrimp Ball: Never my favorite, and no change here. The inside is a shrimp mixed with something -maybe a flour based product. Outside is deep fried.

Scallop Dumplings with truffle. I didn't try this personally but was reported to be good.

Spicy pan fried lamb bun. Excellent. One 3-4 inch bun like the steamed pork bao texture you are familiar with. Spicy, but excellent flavor. Waiter will cut it into 4 pieces. Not sweet. It is fried on the bottom and delivered in the little frying pan.

Pork chow mein. They have a different noodle than your standard chow mein. They use the very thin one. Flavoring was typical. I liked it very well.

Chinese chicken salad. Iceberg lettuce, peanuts, chicken. The lettuce was not chopped small and there was little or no dressing. There were more peanuts than I would expect. I did not enjoy this, I could have made it at home easily.

I will be going back and will order the baked pork buns, the deep fried pork dumpling, and the chow mein. Since they are so good at the sweet itms, I can't wait to try their red bean sesame ball!

The lunch specials shown on the website are Monday through Friday only.

Last word: At 1:45 on a Saturday, the place was full. Only a few tables open. Served was excellent and attentive.

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

Delicious dim sum at yum cha palace! Generous portions so be careful! Do not miss the steamed pork buns, make sure you sample the scallop truffle dumplings and the shrimp seabass dumplings. The rice crêpes are also excellent. Highly recommended is also the combo chow mein! Will definitely be back!

Reviewed 4 July 2017

Su Hong it's not. Much more limited menu. Didn't try the signature Dim Sum, so can't comment on that.

Food we did order was tasty, nicely done and with generous portions (albeit on the pricey side). Service was awkward, although we got a nice apology (eventually). Dishes showed up in no order, and an appetizer actually came last. One dish we ordered was only received after flagging someone down and letting them know we'd never received it.

We were served by two different waiters simultaneously --- not sure if this added to the confusion, or if things would've been worse otherwise. When Waiter #1, who had taken our order initially came late in the meal to check on us, we pointed out some of the awkward service we'd received. He offered a sincere apology and gave us a complimentary dessert.

Maybe the coordination / service could be written off as growing pains, but not sure we'd give it another try anytime soon.

Reviewed 16 May 2017

We ate here for Mother's Day and enjoyed the meal. It certainly is busy so you might have to flag down a waiter but this is normal for dim sum. The food was well made and enjoyable.

Reviewed 7 April 2017

Not the best Chinese in the Area - service was lacking and the food mediocre.
We will not be going back!