“Halloween night - travelers tip”
Review of Hill House Inn

Hill House Inn
Ranked #15 of 25 Mendocino B&B and Inns
Puget Sound
“Halloween night - travelers tip”
Reviewed 1 November 2011

On a tour so we did not select this place. All looked fine on arrival. The inn has a Halloween party that started from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. A private event we were told. Sounded like fun. Except it is now 4 in the morning and the drunken brawl has just subsided outside our room. Seriously there were fights with people being slammed against our door. All this was preceded by loud partying in the hallways and the patios beneath our room, lots of people running up and down stairs and hallways and so many doors being slammed constantly. Called the front desk at 4 in the morning and of course no answer as they(one?) was likely trying to do damage control.
The take away from all this is know what you are getting into on a halloween night. This event got away from the staff. Our travel leader sure did not know or even think about this situation when she booked this place. Truly a night from hell. And after looking at reviews on Trip Advisor, there are better places to stay. We rate this as a do not stay because we did not get what we paid for - a peaceful night of rest. Curious to hear what front desk will say when we check out. We will let you know.

• Stayed October 2011

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
El Sobrante
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Great location, walking distance to shops, restaurants, beach and wine tasting. Very helpful, friendly service. Wonderful photo ops.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
California
Reviewed 28 October 2011

Stayed here on a Living Social deal. At first glance in the main building at checking presented a pleasant atmosphere. That was about it. Our room was basic, share a balcony with another room, needed some upgrading to the bathroom area. There was no restaurant other than for the continental breakfast, the breakfast was basic, self made waffles, ran out of mixed fruit salad one morning, the table weren't bussed. We had to clean our own table each morning. The same woman that check us in did come in about 9am to clean some tables.

Since the hotel did not have a restaurant we were limited to few expensive places in town. There did offered a 30% discount for dinner at the Mendocino Hotel which was expensive. Only one other place was a sports bar that had a long wait, but worth it. I'm glad we didn't pay full price.

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We just returned from a weekend in Mendocino. We also purchased the Groupon deal which made this weekend seem like a steal! The location is perfect for walking into town for dinner and for exploring the adorable town. The inn was also very close to many hikes and state parks. We opted to take a lower level room so that we could bring our dog and it was so great to be able to to travel with him. The room may be a bit dated as others have said but I knew what to expect and the great service and location more than made up for it! Enjoy!

Sacramento, California
Reviewed 17 October 2011

I read so much great reviews and hope that our stay would end up with us raving about the place (so I got a weekend through Groupon) but it was a disappointment. We got there late on a Friday night (We had called ahead and informed them that we would be arriving late we got there around 10:00 pm) the check in was smooth till the front desk person ask me for the print out from Groupon I inform her that I was not aware I needed to print and bring one with me I told her that I call pull it up from my smart phone and she can scan from it, she was not pleased with that and insist that I should email it to her I ask her if I can print one out from their printer she refused to do so and kept insisting I email it to them or walk to the town the next day and pay and use the cafe printer and she told me that they ALWAYS inform all customer to bring a print out I told her the guy I spoke to said no such thing and I even showed her the confirmation that they emailed me said no such thing, the lady in the counter didn't apology and just change the subject. So I figure it's late I will ask again the next day, so when I got to the room it was surprisingly big but the bathroom had a slight odor coming from the toilet, smelling like the septic tank so the whole time we had to close the bathroom door and left some window open, (needless to say going to the bathroom was unpleasant with that smell). So the next morning I attempted to ask the same question regarding the Groupon print out and I was presented with the same kind of responds. But overall Mendocino was great but the hotel could be much better.

Room Tip: For those that are allergic to animals the second floor is pet free from what I was told