All reviews club level tennis courts beautiful property luxury hotel room service pool area santa monica small balcony business trip fitness center late check close to the airport los angeles great restaurant hotel restaurant valet parking fire pit
Reviewed 2 October 2016

When traveling to L.A. I always use the Ritz Carlton as my airport (or last night) hotel as its not far from LAX and doesn't have the depressing qualities of on site airport hotels.
One of the best aspects of the hotel is It's car valet staff, which is always excellent. Years ago this hotel's Club Room was top notch, however it has greatly declined. With that said I would still recommend the Club Room as its staff is friendly, welcoming and decent light food is served all day. I stayed in a Club Room Suite - and while hardly opulent did have a nice view and was quiet and comfortable. The living room in the suite is tired and drab and would benefit from a make over. The bathroom was large and the best maintained part of the room. The housekeeping staff here has always been excellent.
The hotel itself is average and nondescript in every manner with barely a hint of luxury. The Ritz Carlton Marina del Rey is a decent hotel with a very good location, that is probably best situated for a very short visit.

Room Tip: Choose a club floor room
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
GeneralManagerMDR, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2016

Dear nycnyuguy,

I appreciate that you took the time to write a review about your recent stay. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations regarding the Club Lounge as well as the décor of your guestroom and that of the hotel. Because we strive to genuinely care for our guests, it was a pleasure to read your review of our wonderful Club , Valet and Housekeeping staff. Once again, Please accept my apologies. As I have said many times, it’s through our guest’s comments that we can improve upon our service and processes.

Tony Mira,

Reviewed 1 October 2016 via mobile

Wifi is a basic first-world amenity, like electricity and clean tap water. Putting guests through the hassle of signing up and paying an extra $13-18/day is an obnoxious low-blow that is, sadly, a tacky signal that the place is struggling. The staff here is excellent and it's truly a shame for them to suffer under this type of management.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Dave B
GeneralManagerMDR, General Manager at The Ritz-Carlton, Marina del Rey, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2016

Dear Dave B,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit with the Trip Advisor community. Please know that we conduct comparative studies on a monthly basis to ensure that our prices are competitive and are in line with other luxury hotels in the area. On a happier note, I was pleased to read your positive comments regarding our staff. It is through feedback such as yours that we can learn how to improve upon our service and meet the expectations of our guests. I hope you will accept my sincerest apologies.

Best regards,

Tony Mira,

Reviewed 25 September 2016 via mobile

Excellent stay....excellent staff...great food at Cast & Plow...thanks for a great few days!!!
The rooms all have great views of the harbor and waking up to the views are unbelievable. Special thanks to Shantell at the front desk for her help.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 September 2016 via mobile

Decided on the Ritz, Marina Del Rey due to its proximity to LAX. We were pleasantly surprised at the cool, contemporary vibe the hotel had--Quite different from other more traditional Ritz Carlton hotels. Nice lobby and contemporary open planned bar/lounge area that ledto the restaurant and small, outdoor terrace eating/drinking area overlooking the marina. Rooms were spacious with large marble bathrooms (no separate showers) with good lighting and decorated in cool blue,grey tones. We had a Juliette balcony with partial marina view and were upgraded to Club Level. The club lounge was comfortable with a small balcony (one table) overlooking marina. Great service, delicious presentations and friendly service. Pool area was large with comfy bed loungers dotted beside pool. Good fitness center and spa facility. Definitely need a car to go anywhere other then a few local restaurants in area. We enjoyed our quick stay and would definitely return. Really more of a business hotel, but far from the maddening crowds of Santa Monica. Went to Shutters for a quick drink and although it is on the beach, and cool in its own RL way, was in a more diverse, hustling area. Prefer the Ritz quiet elegance of the Ritz's upscale location.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2016

It’s kinda hard to find much interesting to say about the Ritz-Carlton as it’s everything you’d expect - a really nice hotel, in a lovely location overlooking the marina that does everything well. And I guess that’s what most people would want and expect - solid quality with no surprises. Especially the kind of older, well-off clientele Ritz-Carlton is so squarely aimed at.

I was there for two nights for business (the company had booked it for me and I hadn’t chosen it) and so enjoyed that yes, there were plug points on the desk level itself and not low down in some hard to read place as is often the case. Also too, plug points at the bedside table level courtesy of those lamp bases which have sockets built-in. I was able to get the free basic wifi as my Marriott status allowed it I think but if I hadn’t I think I would have been lamenting paying $13 or $14 a day for basic connection and around $19 for advanced. C’mon guys - you can’t nickel and dime people for wifi when they’re already paying a lot of money for a room - when are hotels going to learn?

The bathroom had all the amenities you’d want (though as always, the shower was in the bath - a very old-fashioned understanding of what people want from bathrooms) and was spacious.

The ability to open the double doors on to a Juliette balcony, with views of the pool and, turning my head to the right, the marina, was welcome as was the free water bottles and mini chocolates supplied during the turndown service.

The styling was standard-issue entry-level luxury - marble sink, beiges and taupes, slightly dated cherrywood looking drawers and cabinets. As I say, perfectly ok but no desire to push the envelope in style or luxury.

Breakfast was good if not fairly expensive (though as expensive as you’d accept in a Ritz-Carlton), with some slightly transparent attempts at upselling (“would sir like some extra xyz to go with that?”). I liked getting a big sized pot of tea instead of a single bag and pots of honey and lemon to accompany showed good attention to detail as before. Sitting outside overlooking the marina is a very lovely way to start the day (though get a table in the shade as the sun can be very strong and blinding).

The pool area was a good size with comfy loungers, good towels, free water and nice touches like a free glass of sangria and the hallways were lined with modern art which may or may not have been a permanent feature (again, the choices were all very safe, modern classic stuff - think Roy Lichtenstein).

Staff were all friendly and professional - well-drilled, if not memorable.

And that just about sums up the hotel - a very nicely done, slick operation that gives you everything you want in the moment (and a little bit more) but is unlikely to linger on the memory for long.

Room Tip: You gotta go for a room overlooking the marina
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business