“Great afternoon lunch”
Review of Little Sister

Little Sister
Reserve with OpenTable
Little Sister is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 192 Restaurants in Manhattan Beach
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 25 April 2016

I've gone to this place for a lively, dinner and enjoyed it but have to say the lunch was even better and not as crowded. They put the Bahn Mi on their lunch menu and it's the best lunch in town. Tried all 3 meat combinations, and the lemongrass chicken is still my favorite, served with Pho and shrimp chips. Get the thin egg noodles with pork on the side for spice, and order the Provisions. For $2 each, it is so worth getting the different tastes and textures. Your mouth will say thank you for the flavor explosion! Oh, forgot to say lunch only on Friday, Sat, and Sun.

There are newer reviews for Little Sister

Reviewed 17 April 2016 via mobile

Just finished a 10 thousand mile round trip flight from the Northwest to Amsterdam and back to Los Angeles and I was in critical need for an infusion of flavor and culinary artistry and my colleague suggested "Little Sister" in Manhattan Beach. Tucked (let's say shoehorned) into a 35 foot by 70 foot space along the trendy Manhattan Avenue strand this crowded, somewhat noisy but quirky restaurant catches your attention from the first moment you walk in, first by a huge mural depicting a Vietnam War era sketch of a machine gun on one wall and the haunting aroma of cucumber, curry and ginger - and you immediately have my undivided attention.

Your attention is indeed required while plowing through their voluminous menu, every dish solidly rooted in New Asian Cuisine but with an elegant if not gourmand synthesis. This evening I enjoyed a bowl of beef tendon and short rib that was to die for. Rich, opulent and so warming. I followed with their crisp sweetbreads with ramen-style noodles (I had one of those "why didn't I think of that moments") perfectly executed, fresh with a terrific mouth feel and so lightly seasoned the "whisper" of flavor from the sweetbreads shown through. My associate had their take on a miso black cod, let me tell you it was as mesmerizing as every first-tastes you experienced as a child and no less memorable.

Our server was honestly as wonderful as you could image despite the restaurant being filled to the gills on a Friday night and sitting at the "chef's table" was an exquisite treat. The young chef working single handedly this evening was cranking out sheer artistry and a pace you'd need a solo-mo camera to fully capture but with a almost zen-like preciseness like a man juggling chainsaws and live piranhas.

Entertaining, satisfying and a lovely way to recover from the bland food blahs. You will be greatly rewarded by a visit.

1  Thank DuKaiser
Reviewed 3 April 2016

Another small plate Manhattan Beach find. Lots of great choices, which makes you want to share. Our meal took a little long because the kitchen was not happy how a couple of dishes turned out. Gave us a couple of complimentary apps to tide us over, which was much appreciated. Service was very friendly.

Reviewed 1 April 2016

I joined two friends from work and we shared several plates. This place is small and it took a week to get a reservation. The design is clean and spare. There's a "library of spices" on the menu. Takes a bit of time to roam through the menu even with the friendly, professional staff's guidance. Among our choices were "ma la beef tartare, pear, pine nuts, quail egg with bone marrow vin", "chili bean curd, glass noodle, cilantro, peanuts, scallions, sprouts, sesame soy black vi'", "grilled prawns, cabbage mix, cucumber, onion, cashews, lemongrass-cilantro dressing" -- just a few of the tasting plates (think tapas). Wine was on the expensive side... about $60 for an average choice. Interesting choices but turned out to be a bit pricey.

1  Thank janewr
Reviewed 30 March 2016

First, our server, Devon, was super fun and attentive, making our friend dinner even better.

The food was also amazing. Everyone loved what they got, but the shaky shaky beef, the dumplings, and the pork belly were standouts.

I'd like to make a return visit. This was a great find.