“Very mediocre Italian”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Casa Nostra
Reserve with OpenTable
Casa Nostra is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 95 Restaurants in Malibu
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 June 2017 via mobile

This is for the Westlake Village location since Trip Advisor is not up to date

We were very big fans of Giardino, which occupied this site before Casa Nostra. We hadn't tried Casa Nostra and there are very few choices for high quality Italian restaurants in Ventura County.

I was hesitant after reading over the menu three times (once before going) and not finding any dish that was remotely appealing. Most of the offerings were the same old standard Italian restaurant dishes. I started off with the meatball appetizer- little Chef Boyardee meatballs in a tasteless brown sauce that did little to change my initial impression. I then had the osso buco over risotto. Pretty standard veal shank served on top of over done rice drowned in a heavy brown sauce. Very very average. My wife had the beet, Gorgonzola and walnut salad- totally unremarkable. Her papardelle with duck ragu was over cooked and the brown sauce could have been hiding any kind of meat. Mediocre and unappetizing.

Deserts were brought in and were ok.

Very expensive for the quality of the food. They have three restaurants and this location was packed which surprises me and leads me to believe that McDonald's has shaped an entire generation of palates.

Date of visit: June 2017

Reviewed 10 March 2017

My daughter and I enjoyed delightful service, delicious wine, and some of the best pasta ever! We rarely eat all of our meals--saving some to take home...not that day! Yum!!

Date of visit: March 2017
Reviewed 26 February 2017

Was somewhat a disappointment, although we came prepared to love it based on the reviews. The food was ok but certainly not very good and nothing which would knock socks off. Pasta was tasty, although the calarami were absolutely juiceless and dry. Two chicken piccata orders were delivered as one chicken piccata and another chicken dish with a comment "why don't you try something new and share." Service was typical Italian as in a bit imposing and patronizing. Do check you bill. We found an extra entree on ours. The place was packed so there must be other things on the menu that are tastier than what we picked.

Date of visit: February 2017
Reviewed 15 December 2016

This is our neighborhood restaurant. Love everything. We eat there weekly. Perfect for a local night out

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed 22 August 2016

First of all somehow Trip Advisor has the city listed as Thousand Oaks, following Pacific Palisades. It's not in Thousand Oaks!
On with the review.
We had reservations and were quickly seated, we had a friendly attentive waiter, but it seems like all the waiters assist all around, or there are back waiters and bussers galore. We were well taken care of. Everyone was friendly. I get the impression its a family restaurant. There were kids laughing and playing in the courtyard which added a nice touch to the night. It felt like Italy. We were dressed for a celebration, the table next to us was right off the beach and they were treated just as well. Very nice wine selection, had 3 appetizers, with our favorite being the grilled calamari. 4 entrees and each of us was really happy with our choices. The lamb was delicious, the Oso Bucco... you could cut it with a fork. The other 2 had pasta dishes which they were swooning over. All the sauces were flavorful and rich. We shared a tiramisu for dessert, well, the birthday girl shared it with us and it was one of the best tiramisu's I've ever had. The night ended with a small plate of biscotti and small glasses of a sweet white wine. Lovely, absolutely lovely. I will most definitely return!

Date of visit: August 2016