“Very good ramen”

Cuisines: Japanese
Neighbourhood: Westside
Neighbourhood: Westside
Reviewed 4 August 2015 via mobile

I was happy to find the authentic taste of the tonkotsu Ramen as well as the miso ramen and common flavors. Santouka cooks delicious noodles in a full-flavor soup, topped with select gourmet items. You can have it in 3 sizes and with several options. Very delicious, good quality. I'll come again.

Date of visit: August 2015
1  Thank tomez9

Reviewed 8 June 2015 via mobile

I love Santouka Ramen, I still can't figure out their secret. Santouka Ramen is located inside the Mitsuwa Japanese Market in their restaurant section. So many different choices from Miso, Salt, and Shoyu Ramen with different ingredients. The broth is delicious, you don't want it to go to waste. Seating is in an open area Cafeteria style with other restaurant vendors. Lunch & Dinner are packed & parking is always . Good for any appetites difficult at Mitsuwa Market. Trust me...it is worth the headache. I get a craving once a week. It is very inexpensive with sizes from small, regular, and large. Great for any appetite.

Date of visit: June 2015
1  Thank Akiko A
Reviewed 21 April 2015 via mobile

My "go-to" for hangover cure and pre-shopping snack is always serving delicious ramen every day until 8 p.m. The prices are very reasonable and the options are plenty! Cash only, but there is a Bank of America ATM in the food court.

Hint: for $5.99 you can add the most tender bites of pork cheek!

1  Thank Aigooooo
Reviewed 5 April 2015

Mitsuwa provides food court and Santouka Ramen is the best in there. I went NJ Mitsuwa, Chicago Mitauwa and here. I think the LA Santouka is best quality.

Date of visit: October 2014
1  Thank Ken0214
Reviewed 13 March 2015

I actually have never had a bowl of Japanese-style ramen at a restaurant until about 3 years ago. The thought behind it was, "Why would I go out and pay $10+ for a bowl of ramen when ramen is pretty much what I eat at home when there is nothing else to eat?" (For a lot of Koreans, instant ramen is a pantry-staple especially stocked for when there is nothing to eat at home). But, boy was I wrong! Over the recent years, I have become a huge fan of Japanese ramen. I have been to Santouka at the Mitsuwa market about 7-8 times now. All but once, I've gotten the salt ramen. That one time, I ordered the spicy miso ramen (just because all my friends raved about it and said I should try), but that was the first and last time. I prefer the more "plain" (for the lack of better word) tonkotsu flavored-broth, and the Salt Ramen at Santouka is my all-time favorite bowl of ramen, largely because of the perfect, perfect broth.

Salt Ramen
This is almost the perfect bowl of ramen. I will address the "almost" part a bit later. When they call my number and go get the ramen, I've already started to salivate. When I sit down with the steaming bowl of ramen in front of me, the first thing I will do is taste a spoonful of the broth. Then I will automatically take another spoonful of the broth, because it is just that damn good. The broth is just so porky, so ric, so intensely flavored, that the broth is almost milky and sticky from (what I'm guessing are the pork bones & marrow). To be honest, I could care less about the 2 kinds of mushrooms, and the single little red berry that the bowl is garnished with. A scoop of green onions and chashu/charsiu is really all I need. The broth is a definite 5/5 in my opinion. However, the noodles are what makes this bowl of ramen "almost perfect" instead of "perfect." My preference for the noodles would be a just a tiny, tiny bit more al dente. If they took it out of the boiler maybe 10 seconds earlier it would be perfect (for me). However, this ramen shop has a very strong following, which means that tons of other people do not share the same opinion as I do about the noodles, which means that again, things come down to personal preference. In either case, the Salt Ramen at Santouka is currently my favorite bowl of ramen and I highly, HIGHLY, recommend that everybody try it at least once. Also, try shaking some pepper into it when you're half-way or two-thirds through your bowl for a slightly peppery flavored broth (but never in the beginning!).

Date of visit: March 2015