“"Unremarkably Perfect"”
Review of Craft Los Angeles

Craft Los Angeles
Reserve with OpenTable
Craft Los Angeles is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 11,896 Restaurants in Los Angeles
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Westside
Cross street: between Avenue of the Stars and Century Park East
Reviewed 14 April 2018

With a day in LA on my birthday, I wanted to find somewhere remarkable to remember it. We spent the morning strolling neighboring Rodeo Drive and made our way to the business concourses of Century City where Craft sits. This is business power lunch central with plenty of super-scrubbed executive types hanging out for negotiations on their expense accounts.

We found parking underground and took advantage of the deeply discounted validation available at the restaurant. My overall impression was that Craft was unremarkably perfect. The interior was woody and sleek with a beautiful view of the grounds and plenty of exposed Edison bulbs. Our service was faultless. The waiter was friendly, prompt, engaged but not intrusive, and our meal included a visit from the dining room manager.

We tried a couple of cocktails, and my Kaffir lime vodka gimlet was one of the outstanding choices this afternoon. We sampled a half dozen oysters, two each of three types I'd never eaten before. These were interesting in that I know they were not the types of oysters you could find just on any menu, but they weren't memorable from a flavor standpoint like the ones we had last summer at an oyster bar in Seattle.

The highlight of the entire meal was a large avocado salad we divided up ourselves which included chunks of fresh avocado, spiced peanuts, and tomatillo over an avocado puree. This was absolutely sublime. Along with the perfectly crusty house bread which had a moist, chewy interior, I would have been happy to end my lunch there.

However, we also ordered entrees. I save my red meat meals for special occasions, and this was certainly one. I ordered the flat iron steak over farro with green beans and romesco covered in a tasty demi glace. My husband had the petrale sole with roasted heirloom grains (looked like barley to me) and romanesco. Both of these were done well, but not a wow experience flavor-wise.

For dessert, we each had a scoop of ice cream. I had coconut, and he had malt. They were very good. A cupcake sized chocolate torte came to the table with a candle for my birthday to end the meal before my espresso.

It was restaurateur Tom Colicchio's reputation which lured me here, and I'm certainly glad I tasted his dining experience. I'm reluctant to give this restaurant the final star because for the price point and reputation, I expected a few more "wow" moments. From my perspective, Craft Los Angeles has a Stepford ideal quality to it: pristine, perfect, and lacking soul.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

For our most recent visit to Craft, the pastry chef won the day. The desserts were the best part of the meal. Really inventive and delicious ice creams.

The rest of our experience was a bit off. We dined on a week night, and it was not particularly busy. You'd expect the service to be spot on, but in fact it sort of dragged along. Because it wasn't busy, staff huddled up to talk to themselves, rather than keep an eye on their tables. Sad.

We started with the avocado salad. Hint: cut it into bite size pieces and mix the avocado with the dressing for a better experience. Our mains were the short rib (delicious) and the tuna (so-so). Sides were green beans and mushrooms (both OK, nothing spectacular).

Reviewed 12 March 2018

I was fortunate to have my experience here be one that was for business. Our CEO selected this place and knew what to order. We shared a bunch of starters and sides and each chose out a main. Everything was so good, especially the grilled veggies, even the cauliflower, which I find is a hard thing to grill well.
My faves were the grain bread (SO good) and the wines.
Very grateful to work for a guy who's got impeccable taste in restaurants.

It is a pricey place, though, and if this had been a personal visit, it would be reserved for special occasions.

Reviewed 6 March 2018 via mobile

We almost didn’t go as other reviews called ‘fine dining’ and wasn’t what we were looking for.

We went anyways and were welcomed even though it was 10mins before the kitchen closing and dressed casual.

Restaurant was beautiful, staff wonderful and food incredible. Felt very welcome and loved the visit. Will make it a dinner destination when in the area as was best meal we had in LA area during our trip.

Beans and cauliflower were awesome. A must try.

Reviewed 3 March 2018 via mobile

A beautiful restaurant setting tucked in a business complex in the heart of Century City. Validated parking ($15) is generously covered by the restaurant. Leftovers are boxed up and provided as one leaves -like a coat check. The food -although small in portion size-is enough to leave one satisfied. We ordered the quail, seared tuna which was crazy delicious, and the short ribs along with great sides.
We were provided with excellent service, and thoughtful goodies like homemade granola as we left.