“Fantastic place to stay!!”
Review of Magic Castle Hotel

Magic Castle Hotel
Ranked #2 of 353 Hotels in Los Angeles
Reviewed 17 August 2017 via mobile

I have been to Hollywood a few time now and by far this is the best place that i have stayed. The staff here are super friendly and helpful. The room that my friend and i stayed in had a full kitchen with dinning area and the lounge area was nice and spacious. The beds were by far the most comfortable hotel bed I have slept in.
I was pleasantly surprised the number of things that as a guest you receive as complimentary, the soda, ice cream, snacks and dvd's for a movie night, it was just amazing!!
One of the other things that i really liked was that a lovely member of staff would come to your room of an evening and let you know what the weather was going to be for the following day and they would leave you some delightful peppermint chocolates.
It's walking distance to a number of the sights of Hollywood such as the walk of fame, and the Chinese Theatre and close to the train station.
It was great that after a busy day seeing the sights of Hollywood and LA, that the staff in reception would recommend places that would deliver food to your door, they would also call in the orders for you.
I would have to say the few days that I recently spent at the Magic Castle were the most relaxing days of my 3 weeks away, I would have no hesitation recommending this place to anyone staying in the area, I know this will most certainly be my hotel of choice if i go back to Hollywood.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kylie H
There are newer reviews for Magic Castle Hotel

Reviewed 16 August 2017

We had a very enjoyable stay at the Magic Castle Hotel in late December 2016. It has a great location, a couple of blocks away from Graumann’s Chinese Theater, Hollywood/Highland Mall/ Metro stop. Runyon Canyon, a really nice park, is also nearby. The hotel has its own parking garage on the premises, your room key gets you in and out.
The staff is over-the-top friendly and helpful, and one gimmick the hotel has is giving away limitless amounts of free snacks, as well as unlimited use of a free soda machine and a soft-serve ice cream machine.
I had the pool to myself every morning for an hour swim at 7 AM; it can get busier later on. It’s large enough to swim laps, heated enough to be comfortable in cool weather, but not so much that you get uncomfortable with vigorous swimming. Hotel also has use of the nice LA Fitness club a block or two away.
Wifi was great.
The one-bedroom suites are HUGE, with full kitchens and dining-room tables…as big as any hotel I’ve stayed in.
One caveat: if you are looking for a brand-new/ newly renovated hotel, this is definitely NOT it. You may enjoy, as I did, the retro/1970s look/feel of the place, but some of the rooms are pretty worn and could use a facelift. I was not pleased that the bathroom door in our suite didn’t latch and the bedroom door was a bit loose on the hinges. They charge plenty for these rooms, so they should step up the “fit and finish” a bit, in my opinion.
That said, we’d stay here again; really nice people, a unique and truly enjoyable accommodation!

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Roy-Tto
Reviewed 14 August 2017

We stayed for two lovely nights in a family suite at the Magic Castle Hotel. The hotel has a wonderful, quirky charm and I have never stayed anywhere with such a focus on customer care - nothing was too much trouble, fantastic recommendations from reception staff and the kids of course loved the snacks, ice cream and popsicle hot line! On top of that a brilliant location. During a four week trip across California this was our stand out hotel and we would return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: All rooms centre on the pool, the family suites do not
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Fiona A
Reviewed 13 August 2017

This was our 4th visit to the hotel. Having originally stayed here with very young children, they have never forgotten the pool and the free candy, and we have never forgotten the fantastic staff and central location of the hotel, and so we found ourselves back here for the 4th time with now teenage children. What excitement when we learned about the addition of the free popsical hotline and the soda & ice cream machine!! Staff, as ever, were fantastic, but I wanted to particularly call out Bryan this time who went above and beyond the call of duty. His restaurant/tourist recommendations were all spot on and, in addition to telling us about the nearby Runyon Canyon for walking, he even told us about a yoga class there and was super helpful and friendly despite the class being on his day off. All in all, a fantastic experience....maybe we'll be back for a 5th visit some day!

Room Tip: Best rooms are on the 2nd floor, overlooking the pool
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

We spent three nights in room 208, a spacious suite with a king-sized bed and a full-sized sleeper sofa. It was the best hotel stay we've experienced and my children were despondent when we left. The rooms themselves are spartan and a bit dated but clean. What sets this hotel apart, though, are the endless guest perks and the warm hospitality of the staff. As others have enumerated, it starts with a cold, bubbly lemon drink upon check-in (refreshing in the LA summer heat!). The amenities include:
- fantastic pool, open 24 hours
- complimentary sweet and savory snacks
- complimentary, unlimited soft ice cream
- complimentary soda machine with dozens of sodas
- complimentary access to premium TV channels
- nightly turn-down service with mints and a card listing the next day's weather
- complimentary laundry service (really!)
- numerous board games and DVDs (and I should mention the TVs in the rooms are quite nice)
- free newspapers at breakfast
- complimentary continental breakfast with an assortment of teas, coffee, oatmeal, fruit, cereal, yogurt and croissants and muffins. (The baked goods are mediocre but very fresh.) There was even a tube of Vegemite at the buffet, presumably for the many Aussie guests.
- parking for only $13/day with in and out privileges
- a bookshelf by the pool where guests can leave or pick up books
- a roving magician at breakfast a few times a week
- and of course, the famous popsicle hotline by the pool

My children were in absolute heaven, which in turn, delighted us and made the trip so special. The layout of the hotel - akin to the Melrose Place apartment - meant they could safely wander down for snacks whenever they liked.

The hotel is well-situated within easy walking distance of the Walk of Fame (a disappointing tourist trap but that's another story) and just one subway stop from Universal Studios.

The Magic Castle Hotel has distorted my children's expectations of what a hotel should offer. I'm afraid no one else will be able to meet the very high bar! We will *definitely* be back.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family