“OK place to stay”

Ranked #114 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Hadleigh, United Kingdom
“OK place to stay”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in Feb 2012. We arrived at 2345 at night after a lond flight and there was no food availiable within the hotel (not even a vending machine). Front desk suggested we send out for pizza.
We were assigned a room that the reception staff assured us was one of their better rooms as it had a balcony. On arrival at the room the main thing we noticed was the noise from the freeway outside the balcony (not sure why you would ever want to sit on it and overlook the traffic). The problem was that the glass patio window was not airtight and not at all soundproofed so the noise from the freeway was loud at all times. We phoned back to reception and asked if there was an alternative room availiable. We were told that no, the whole hotel was fully booked out. We were also told that we should be grateful for having the balcony as people who were higher up were always complaining it was too hot and the air conditioning did not work - at least we were able to cool the room down via the badly fitting windows. We then wondered what kind of run down place we were staying at.
The room itself was great, really comfy bed, lots of storage and a good bathroom.
Breakfast was adequate though the buffet area was very small (for the size of the hotel) and continously ran out of stuff. Service was erratic, one morning we were waiting so long for our drinks we had already finished the food.
Its an OK place, the room is comfortable. Just avoid the traffic facing rooms with the balcony (on ground level floor 3) or the hot rooms in the tower (as reception suggested). Free wireless internet was a bonus also.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
RandyPlayer, General Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, 29 February 2012
Dear Ruthfa-

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and for choosing our hotel while in Southern California. I was happy to hear that your room was great with a comfortable bed. I'm sorry that you ran into some challenges during your visit and I am working on ensuring these are all addressed. I've ask our Engineers to check all the patio doors to ensure they close tightly to block out any noise. I've also shared your comments with our restaurant staff to correct the service delays during breakfast. My apologies as well for the comments by our night staff that the AC doesn't work in the rooms on higher floors. The AC does work although these room do not have windows that open to allow fresh air/etc. I'll ensure that they understand this and explain it better in the future.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back soon.

Randy Player

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We spent the long President's Day weekend at the Sheraton while in LA to visit our son. The hotel is located in an area with easy access to the freeway. This made it convenient to visit a variety of locations in LA County. The first night there we had a delicious dinner at the hotel restaurant, Californias, although the menu is somewhat limited. The service at the restaurant was superb! The restaurant validated parking for my son. The quality of the bed and pillows was wonderful. Our room was quiet and looked out over the courtyard and the hills. The bathroom needed updating and deep cleaning. The ice machine on our floor was not working and there were problems with the elevators. The young woman who checked us in was extremely professional and check in was very fast. Even with the problems with the ice and the elevators, I would stay here again due to the outstanding service from the staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard with a view of the hills.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Dear Grandmab47-

It was great to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel convenient and comfortable and that our staff took great care of you. I've shared your comments with the entire team and we'll ensure to follow up on the items you mentioned including the elevators to ensure these get addressed.

Thank you for choosing the Sheraton Universal and we look forward to your next visit.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I'm not sure if real stars have actually stayed here, but it was good enough for me. The proximity to CityWalk and Universal Studios was nice for getting out and away from the hotel during free time (I was there for work). I don't know when the rooms were remodeled, but they still had a pretty fresh feeling to them. The lobby was also very nice and good for hanging out in groups. I thought that we would have been a little closer to actual "Hollywood" attractions, but they were only a short ride away. I'd stay at the Sheraton Universal again if I was in the area for any reason, or if I wanted to take my family to Universal Studios during a SoCal vacation.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
RandyPlayer, General Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear Rusty Robear-

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We try to treat all of our guests like "stars" but we do have a regular flow of celebrities on property including actors, musicians, etc. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and the location of the hotel next to Universal and Citywalk. It is nice to be able to walk up to Citwalk for dinner or a movie when you've been trapped at work all day. We look forward to welcoming you back next time.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Remodeled lobby and updated rooms had us feeling peetty good about our choice...until we made it to our room. We found a dirty toilet (brown splatter under the seat and inside the bowl...gag!) and all the pleasant sounds of the 101 Freeway - literally steps from or window - to sing us to sleep. According to the front desk staff, the entire hotel was sold out and there was no other room to move us to. Will not be returning or recommending this property.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Evan559
RandyPlayer, General Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Dear Evan559-

I appreciate you taking the time to share with us your feedback related to your recent stay. I was embarassed to read your comments related to the cleanliness of your room and can't blame you for being disgusted. I've sent you a private message hoping to obtain some additional information as to your room number/etc so I can ensure this is promptly addressed. I have spoken with our housekeeping team and shared your comments and they too were upset and very sorry to hear about your experience.

I am also sorry for the freeway noise that kept you from sleeping. Although the noise level typically isn't too loud we can always place guests sensitive to any noise on the opposite side of the building. Again, my apologies if this wasn't offered upon check in. I look forward to hearing from you soon and hope to welcome you back to show you that your experience this visit was unusual and not up to our high standards.

Thank you.

Travellers are raving about these Los Angeles hotels

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 12 February 2012

A short walk to Universal, and short distance to many of the sights makes this an excellent place to stay. The rooms are clean and functional. The staff friendly. The staff did more than you'd expect from a Sheraton.

The room I was in had a noisy neighbour and the staff went out of their way to move me. Then checked the next couple of days to be sure.

The only negative comment about the whole place was that the bar served the worst gin and tonic I've ever had anywhere. Won't take much to fix that!

I look forward to staying again next time I'm in Los Angeles.

• Stayed January 2012
RandyPlayer, General Manager at Sheraton Universal Hotel, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Dear NHHK-

It was great to read about your recent stay in our hotel and I was pleased to hear that our staff exceeded your expectations and that the hotel was clean and convenient. I've shared your comments regarding your Gin and Tonic with our Bar Manager and we'll make sure this gets resolved immediately. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip to Universal City.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Los Angeles
Central L.A
Tilt Hotel Universal / Hollywood, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
The Garland
#13 of 351 in Los Angeles

Been to Sheraton Universal Hotel? Share your experiences!