Royal Palace Westwood
The Kinney(Marina del Rey)
US$291
US$325
US$273
  • Restaurant
Hotel Beverly Terrace(Beverly Hills)(Great Value!)
US$251
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Magic Castle Hotel(Los Angeles)
US$341
US$373
US$327
  • Pool
Loews Santa Monica Beach Hotel(Santa Monica)
US$695
US$748
US$622
US$187
  • Breakfast included
All reviewshammer museumfree parkingucla campuscontinental breakfastgreat locationwithin walking distancetrader joesmedical centerpancake machineapartment buildingkitchen areasanta monicanice sizesmall hotelrental carsafe areastayed two nights
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Unless you need to stay at this exact location keep looking - you'll better and cheaper. Key cards repeatedly failing, stale breakfast offerings, car parking so tight I pulled a muscle squeezing out of my car, indifferent weary staff. Overall the actual value was nearer $68 not the $168 I was charged. Buyer beware!

• Stayed: July 2011
2  Thank Paulrholmes
Reviewed 2 July 2011

I recently stayed at the Royal Palace Westwood and was delightfully surprised by the quality of room they provided.

At first glance the exterior, entrance, and hallways suggest that the rooms would be some kind of typical two or three star accommodation. You know what I mean - that dated 90s cabinetry, funky geometric coloured bedding, and mattresses that you could pretend to surf on.

Boy was I surprised. I ended up booking here for a few nights while I sorted out housing for a summer course at UCLA. Previously I had been put up at the neighbouring Claremont hotel, which rings in at about half the price as the Royal Palace. The Claremont was full so I went in search of something nearby that wasn't outrageously priced and here I stayed.

For $150 a night I received a room that I would put easily on par with something like a Westin or Sheraton. The room was wonderfully appointed (and I assume recently renovated) with fantastic beds. Wow, wow, wow is all I can say. The bed had a fantastic pillow top mattress, crisp white linens, lots of pillows, and a properly firm boudoir pillow that aided a great deal in bedtime studying. The shower head was a tad low but whatever. That's a minor point next to the importance of a good sleep.

The only downside of the stay was the service at the front desk. The staff here ranged from indifferent to downright surly. Perhaps they've had to deal with one too many annoying guests over the year but I certainly didn't do anything to ask for attitude (I hope). Despite this they were accommodating in allowing a late checkout while I sorted things out in LA.

The 'highspeed' internet was also rather spotty so be ready for access dropping in and out during you stay.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Rendar
Reviewed 13 June 2011

A perfect place for varying budgets. Catty corner to the Armand Hammer Museum and near Wilshire Blvd. & many tourist sites. Clean, large rooms, utterly quiet. Older decor means rooms are reasonably priced for LA . Very close to Trader Joe's, restaurants, coffee shops. Adequate breakfast room, suites have kitchens-- so handy for families-- and 2 TV's. They don't reserve blocks of rooms for big groups, so we reserved 10 individually. Maids are terrific! Desk clerks worked hard for our confusing mass arrival. It was exactly as I thought it would be from the website and all of us were happy with it. Being close to Wilshire makes driving easier than usual.

Room Tip: Get mini suite for more luxury and not much more $
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank friedperson
Reviewed 8 June 2011

The Royal Palace is clean with friendly staff. It has been refurbished with new furniture and TVs They serve all day coffee , juice and fruit. It is in an excellent location, just a short walk from UCLA and it's botanical garden.Within a short walking distance are high quality grocery stores, cafes and restaurants. It is also just minutes by car from Beverly Hills and Hollywood We really like it

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank RHSCRaider
Reviewed 7 June 2011

My husband and I are from San Diego (two hours south of L.A.) and wanted a comfortable, affordable base from which to explore Santa Monica/the Getty Center/Westwood/Hollywood, etc. This was it.

The upside: The hotel is in a great location in a very walkable little section of Westwood- lots of restaurants are nearby as is the famous Diddy Riese cookie store (go buy yourself an ice cream cookie sandwich for only $1.50!). There was a Trader Joe's grocery store two blocks away. Parking is free (a rarity in L.A.), the rooms are very clean and comfortable, and there is a continental breakfast (though uninspired). Mini-fridge and microwave in the room. Five minutes to easy freeway access (the 405 freeway), five minutes to Beverly Hills by using Wilshire Blvd.) Ten minutes (at most) from the Getty Center.

The not-so-upside: This is not a trendy, gorgeous hotel. This is a weird-looking motel with weird parking. VERY limited parking. Cars sometimes have to park two-deep, so car keys get handed over to the front desk. We only got blocked in once, but the car behind us was moved immediately by the staff, so absolutely no problem. The interior corridors look weird, too, but the rooms are more modern. We were "upgraded" to a mini-king suite.... with a view of the back end of a Denny's (ugly alleyway) and two not-plugged in refrigerators on our large balcony (weird????).

Back to the upside: Great location, clean accommodations, great price. We can overlook a little weird. We'll be back!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple