“Not too bad but if want something different when in LA”

Venice Beach Suites & Hotel
Ranked #66 of 351 Hotels in Los Angeles
Malaysia
“Not too bad but if want something different when in LA”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

I make frequent trips to LA usually a layover on my way to Santa Barbara for meetings. Most of the time stay aorund LAX at one of those big chain hotels and they are all fine. However this time around I wanted to stay at somewhere different and near the beach. Santa Monica was the first choice but hotels there are very costly so I decided for Venice beach.

The best thing about the hotel is the location. It is right on the beach front and major attractions at Venice. It is also close to Santa Monica.

I chose the half seaview studio and it was ok. It had everything and the small kitchenette and utensils provide is a nice touch. The bath room is on the small side and bath amenities are basic, So best bring your own. The room was clean and bright. I had some problems with
the TV though. I did not seem to get it to work.

There is no car park at the hotel so you will need to park at the open car parks near by. There are a few and the charge around 20 dollars for overnight parking.

A good option is you want to experience Venice Beach stay and something different. For me the room rate is on a high side for what you are getting,

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
10 Thank YongFC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Turkish first
new zealand
Reviewed 8 March 2012

We had a long flight from NZ and arrived to find we had been upgraded to a corner room with a view of the beach. We worried that it would be noisy as the hotel was right on the front but the boardwalk was quiet after 10. The staff were SO WONDERFUL and took us to a great restaurant; pizza place round the corner, cant remember the name but be warned the Margaritas are to die for!
This was a place that is not luxury, but for the money one of the best places I have ever stayed in and I would go back again and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank moaiisle
Paris
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Before you decide which hotel to stay at in Venice, think twice about whether you want to stay in Venice at all. If you don't have at least five body piercings, four tattoos and a crystal meth habit you will feel out of place here. It's a very grubby resort.

The suites here are quite well appointed and the first impression of the rooms is that they are much nicer than the common parts of the hotel would suggest.

However, there are a number of drawbacks that become evident!

1. The standard of the housekeeping is very poor. Don't be surprised if a few of your predecessors hairs remain in the basin and shower to greet you on your arrival. I recommend re-washing up any cup or utensile before you use it.

2. The bedding is old and grubby, don't look under the sheets at the matress if you want to sleep soundly. I was bitten by bedbugs on my first night and retreived two large blood swollen creatures from the bed the next morning. Manangement were very apologetic and offered to refund my remaining stay. It was President's Day weekend and I was very jet-lagged so I took up their offer to clean de-louse the room and I stayed. I was bitten again on my third and last night so the proceedure was clearly ineffective.

3. The walls are paper thin and the amourous activities of your neighbours across the corridor are clearly audible as are the fights down below between the homeless drug addicts who live on the streets of Venice. Although the hotel has a no smoking policy don't be surprised if the coridoors are perfumed with smell of residents enjoying the prescriptions of the many 'Medical Marajuana Doctors' who have set up shop along the broadwalk.

I don't know if there is better to be had in Venice, but I would recommend moving up to Marina del Rey and finding something slightly cleaner and more conventional unless you have a strong need to be here, especially as this hotel is not that cheap given the drawbacks listed above.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
11 Thank DavidFinch9436
AndyLayman, Owner at Venice Beach Suites & Hotel, responded to this review, 4 March 2012
If tattoos, body piercing or 420 Doctors bother you then Venice Beach is not for you. We are VERY proud of our eclectic, bohemian nature at Venice Beach. I do take great exception to the comment about crystal meth Habit. It is very evident that this guest did not do their home work about Venice Beach and that they were are definatyely outsde of their comfort zone.

Yes we are a 100 year old building, so if you are looking for a new steral Ritz Carlton then we are not it.

I could go on defending a property that I am very proud of, but I also know that Venice is not for everyone or are historic, botique properties so I encourage everyone to do their homework where every you stay or travel.
San Antonio
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Here is my experience at this hotel for a two day long weekend trip. My wife and I arrived very late at night and found a letter from the staff with instructions on how to get into the hotel and our room since no one was around. So first lesson here is that the office is open only from 9am till around 8pm so if your going to arrive late make certain that you call before hand and get all the necessary info. This was an error on our part so I thought I should make that clear. If you have a car than take note that there is no hotel parking lot but there is a lot two blocks away that you can park that will charge $15 a night but if your a seasoned traveler you can find a place to park in the area around the hotel for free. The neighborhood is dark and silent at night but I felt safe in it so I'd say check in get the wife and kids situated and go park that car in the neighborhood and just walk back to your room and save yourself some cash.Now on with the review...after we got our instructions and got into the hotel the first thing we notice is the lift. Now my wife and I have stayed in several old buildings in Europe so the lift was not a shocker for us but if your used to modern places you must remember that this is a century old building and the lift was designed for this place. It is a birdcage type of lift that requires that you open the outer door then the cage. After you enter close the outer door and cage and that's it. Make certain that when you get to your floor to close the cage and the lift because if someone else wants to use the lift on another floor it will not work until you close the door so be courteous to others. Now the lift is a little bumpy so don't be alarmed by the ride because its perfectly safe. Up to this point nothing about the hotel had surprised or disappointed me until we got to our room. Now as I said it is an old building so of course the room is old but that wasn't the part I was disappointed about. We had paid a little extra for an ocean view but what we got was a parking lot view of the dingy apartments next door. You can see the ocean to the right when your in this room so I won't say that we didn't have a view of the ocean but in all honesty the only rooms with a true ocean view are the rooms at the front of the hotel and not the sides so I didn't think we should have paid extra for the "apartment" view. Ok enough with that and back to the room. The room size is fine for two travelers but I think the hotel could use updated furnishings.The floors were hard wood and the tub was the old porcelain kind with the clawed feet. Overall everything was clean and ready for us and worked as it should. There are lots of places for food and drinks nearby and a small convinence store a few blocks away so anything you need is close by. Being right on the boardwalk was very convenient for beach lovers but remember that it is non stop street noise all day so if your expecting peace and tranquility than the Venice boardwalk is not for you but if your expecting a very lively scene with a big cast of characters than you'll enjoyed it all immensely! All in all I would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank itsanthonya
Kiev, Ukraine
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Well, the Venice Beach Suites & Hotel is definitely as simple and easygoing as the Venice beach itself. It's a good choice for students, budget travelers and for people who want to feel what the real venice beach is. You have only two choices: to love the hotel or to hate it :)
The look of the Venice Beach Suites & Hotel reminds european hostels, but inside it is quite lovely hotel with vintage squeaky lift. The room is quite clean with small kitchen and additional folding bed for extra guest. It's little noisy from the beach during the night, but it's the part of the Venice beach experience stay.
The staff is very kind and helpful. Hotel doesn't have own parking, so you could park the car on paid public beach parking or ask the staff to give you the map of free parking places.
So in general the hotel definitely has own face and character and absolutely fit the character of the Venice beach place.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
The Kinney
#4 of 11 in Marina del Rey
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,344 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn Los Angeles Marina Del Rey

Been to Venice Beach Suites & Hotel? Share your experiences!