All reviews anheuser busch infused water in the lobby front desk without traffic breakfast staff never felt unsafe road noise free breakfast southern california nice pool would stay here again beds were very comfortable universal studios neighborhood northridge la burbank
Reviewed 27 May 2016 via mobile

This hotel is decent even though it is not a safe neighborhood. But the rate I paid of $179+ per night is a little ridiculous considering I didn't get a refrigerator and for some reason I had to ask for wash clothes and hand towels two of the five nights I stayed here.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2016

Dear Douglas H,

Thank you for submitting your review. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and service are superior and we strive to provide rates that are competitive in the area. Your concerns regarding the lack of refrigerator and inadequate supply of towels have been taken into account. Allow me to apologize for any inconvenience these issues may have caused you. Your feedback is important to the success of our organization as we rely on you to tell us how we are doing and how we can provide a better experience.

I value you as our guest and hope you will continue to choose IHG for your future travel needs.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 23 May 2016

My wife and I spent the weekend here while attending our niece's graduation at Cal State Northridge. It was relative close to the university and I-405 Freeway. The staff are friendly and the room was clean. However, once I experienced the hotel and the area in which it's located, I feel it is way overpriced. The hotel is old and noisy. The rooms are small and the bathroom is out of date and needs updating. The hotel is located just off of Roscoe Blvd, a major street in an undesirable part of town. They really should install double pane windows in all the rooms facing Roscoe Blvd; late at night you can hear all the traffic, sirens, car alarms and the drunks arguing outside of the all night Denny's adjacent to the hotel. Not very conducive to a good night's rest. Also, very limited choice of decent places to eat near the hotel, unless you want fast food. I would have given a rating of average, but I feel for the area and condition of the hotel, the price is out of line. The staff and cleanliness kept it from being a one star rating. I think they get a lot of business during this time from parents and relatives visiting students at CSN. My advice is to drive a little further and spend your money on an updated hotel in a nicer area.

Room Tip: Get a room on the North side, away from Roscoe Blvd.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
HolidayInn V, Sales and Marketing Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2016

Dear Valued Guest:

First of all thank you for your business and for your time in filling out the survey out of your busy schedule. We appreciate your honesty and constructive feedback. I am sorry to hear that you did not have the great experience.

We will look into the noises and other issues you mentioned. As far as the sirens, car alarms we hardly have that kind of issues and it was unfortunate it happened during your stay.

We tried our best to go above and beyond our customer satisfaction.

I hope that you will give us another chance and please contact me directly if there is anything I an assist you.

818-989-5010

Reviewed 22 May 2016 via mobile

Great Service, Great Breakfast, GREAT BED. VERY VERY COMFORTABLE. Fan was nice and loud. I usually turn on fan to distract any outside noise. It was very helpful.
Only downside:
I wish they had the fresh made hot oatmeal. It was packets. Also, not so good neighborhood. They have security at nite which is great. But dont try to walk after 8PM.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family

Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for your time in submitting the survey. We appreciate your business and honest opinion. About the oatmeal you are definitely right if we can have the fresh made hot oatmeal it will be great. Unfortunately we have to follow our brand standard for Intercontinental Hotels Group what we can serve and not.

As far as walking at night after 8 anywhere you go it is always better to drive especially if you are in Los Angeles.

Again, I wanted to thank you and at least you had a good experience as far as our breakfast and bed and I am sure that our Front Desk Agent made your arrival a nice welcome.

If there is anything I can help or assist you, please feel free to contact me. I look forward to your next visit.

818-989-5010

Reviewed 17 May 2016

While waiting for my final accommodation in San Fernando Valley, i spent 2 nights in this hotel. It had all i needed, including wifi (which many hotels still want to charge as an extra... not here).
Everything was clean, breakfast was good, and the staff were pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
HolidayInn V, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2016

Thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express an Intercontinental Hotels Group for your visit. We appreciate your business and we are very happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us.

We look forward to seeing you again and I hope that I will have the opportunity to meet you in person.

If there is anything else I can help or assist you, please do not hesitate to give me a call.

Regards,

818-989-5010 x1107

Reviewed 3 May 2016

Well, I wish I could say my review would be different that the others, but, alas, I cannot. We didn't have too many choices when determining where we were going to stay due to the location of our event and the need for secure parking. Usually, the Holiday Inn Expresses are perfect for us. However, this one, not so much. Yet, the customer service was totally AWESOME, for the most part and the shower's water pressure was to die for! I'm so torn!
Like other reviews, the staff are PHENOMENAL - Graeula(sp?) & Ellen checked my husband in and, when I arrived 20 minutes later, the ladies knew who I was and remembered the room number. YAY! Housekeeping, security, and the breakfast staff were very friendly and welcoming. We were cheerfully greeted by the front desk each time we entered and each time we left the hotel. That part of customer service is EXCELLENT and they excelled there.
The hotel is clean enough - it's obviously an old building, but it was painted with an updated color-scheme and the rooms were furnished with newer furniture. However, we were disappointed when we got to our room, the space where there should have been a refrigerator was empty, and there was no microwave. We found that unusual since HIEs ALWAYS have those appliances in each room. The front desk and maintenance were great and delivered both a fridge & microwave. However, they needed to go find an extension cord because there was no outlet close enough. Since the surge protector was just a bit too short, we had to turn our garbage can over to set the protector on it. Otherwise, it was just kinda hanging in space and the plugs pulled out.
Our first morning was rough - it started with our toilet overflowing at 4:30 AM and it taking the front desk and security men quite a long time to find a plunger. When they finally did, they handed it to me. Although it was in a plastic bag, it was still an "ick' factor! After 30 minutes of my husband trying to plunge our toilet (while standing on wet soiled towels), he gave up. By the time we got back maintenance would have had it all fixed - YAY!
The final issue is that there's additional $10 fee for the second person. It felt almost like a cab fare or a "pet fee" - you can stay for a set price, but if you bring your spouse/partner/child, then you pay extra - which is silly. The room is occupied whether there's one person or two. Oh well, we knew that when we booked the room.
I just can't decide if the personal and PHENOMENAL customer service is enough to overcome the negatives.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
IHGService, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Van Nuys, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2016

Dear CharlieCN,

Thank you for taking time to leave us a review. It is delightful to know that you found our staff service exceptional. Please accept my sincerest apology for the lack of some amenities in the room and the bathroom issue during your stay. We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest or your next visit.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Dianne L