“Well worth the price.”

Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City
Ranked #48 of 355 Hotels in Los Angeles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 9 March 2012

Right on the doorstep of Universal City and the entrance to universal studios.
Superbly clean and comfortable room also. We were on loor 14 looking out onto the hills and there was very little noise from the highway.
The pool is nice ans the hot tub too. You would forget you were in such a built up area.
We didnt eat there but theres a coffee counter with starbucks if you want something quick which was nice.
The shuttle bus was never running in the evenings we were there however. its advertised as if its there all the time.
However a shuttle bus to the hop on/off tours of hollywood stop at reception every hour which is great.
1 thing to note is that the walk from the hotel to the Universal cuty area is NOT wheelchair friendly.
parking is around 15 dollars a night.

Room Tip: Theyre all good from what i could tell. Our friends were as nice as ours.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 March 2012

Holy Mackrel. This place rocks. I stayed here several years ago, for a trip to Universal Studios, but this time was for four nights, worked related.
I seriously do not know who trained this staff, but they have had to be some of the best hospitality people around. I log about 130 nights a year on the road for work and have stayed at so many Southern California properties, but these folks are top notch.
Rory, a Northern California transplant, at the front desk was one of the nicest guys around. He was busy when I went to check in and at least twice told me he would be right with me. As a Diamond member that was great.. He explained a lot to me about the hotel as I checked in. He then walked me to the elevator, called the elevator, stepped in and pushed the floor number for me? What??? What awesome service. This has never happened to me before. It appears they do this for all the guests. Crazy customer service in a good way.
I was lucky enough to score an alcove room on the 20th floor with views of Universal Studios and Citywalk. Very nice room with many windows. I could not hear freeway noise at all and a had a straight shot of US 101. The room was super clean and smelled fresh. Yes the decor is a little outdated, but not an issue at all. Each room has a min refrigerator as well. Yes!
The elevators did bug me. They have 5, but wow...slow!
Super great bath products with many extras to boot.
As I walked through the lobby many of the staff would greet you. This property has the can do spirit. Each morning I called housekeeping to request housekeeping before noon. Each time it was a no problem type attitude.
Front manager Terry Lin looked at future reservations for me and gave me a card stating to call him to further look into my stay as the computer wasn't showing some availability of some dates I needed.
Hats off to GM Juan Aquinde for making this a Hotel I won't soon forget and will try to return too frequently.

Room Tip: Alcove rooms are winners
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank TravelingMan5989
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I will offer a short and sweet review of this property. I travel about 60 days a year on business/pleasure and this is a decent property worth staying at. I have fairly high standards with lodging properties.

If you are a Universal Studios fan, it is walking distance from Universal Hollywood and City Walk.

If you are a "Hollywood" fan, the property is only a $15 cab ride from many of the Hollywood tourist areas.

If you fly into LAX, take out a second mortgage as the cab ride will set you back about $90.

But as for the actual hotel, the rooms are nice, the joint is clean and if you want a decent lodging property, you will likely be happy staying here.

On a scale from 1-10, this Hilton is a solid 8.....which means that most folks will be happy staying there. I would return.

Finally, I am from the East Coast and I like my hotel room temp. to be in the "Meat Locker" range. For whatever reason, I am convinced that California hotels in their quest for going green, have a rule that their rooms cannot be cooled below 72F..... Every time I stay in a California hotel, I can't get the room cool enough.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank GeorgeRohman
Reviewed 3 March 2012

When I stayed at this hotel for 2 nights, I came back with welts all over my body! I had at least 100 bites. I called the hotel to notify them, and they did nothing but try to convince me that I got the bites somewhere else. Needless to say I will NEVER stay at this hotel again for as long as I live.

Room Tip: ask for a room with NO bed bugs
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
12  Thank Bob J
HiltonUniversal, Manager at Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2012

Dear Bob J.,

We would like to thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. We take any report of bed bugs with extreme seriousness and fully investigate. There are very specific guidelines and standards we follow which include professional inspection by a licensed certified pest technician.

Bed bugs are a host pest and can only be introduced to an environment from a host carrier. Typical possibilities for becoming a host are public transit travel, including air, bus, train and taxi services. Unfortunately, and thankfully rarely, once bed bugs are “brought in” to an environment they will not leave without a severe eradication process. The bed bug typically hides during day light and feeds on the host when dark. Any report of activity is fully investigated and any confirmation of presence triggers a full regiment of eradication including treating the room and all surrounding rooms (side to side, above and below). Rooms are not made available until certified clean and vacant. The certification is the most state-of-the-art, executed with a trained dog to find any activity. The company guarantees this certification process with 100% success.

As well, proactive measures are taken with routine certifications and daily inspections by our trained staff. This effort minimizes the issue and we can thankfully say we are “bed bug free” to the best of our ability on a daily basis. It pays for all of us to be diligent in our efforts to minimize this host pest and we certainly do our part. We recommend that all guests check their luggage often and be careful when unpacking. Often they will get into clothes, hiding in a hem or under a collar without you knowing. It pays to be alert.

Thank you again for bringing this to our attention, helping us educate and spread the message to be alert.

Regards,
Management at Hilton Universal City

Reviewed 2 March 2012

All of the staff I encountered were notably courteous and helpful. Stewart at the front desk was especially welcoming. The rooms were very clean, classy, and comfortable.

The location was a reasonably short walk to the Universal Studios park and CityWalk, although the route was a bit poorly marked and confusing. Still, it was nice to be located so close and have views of the Studios and the variety of options so conveniently located.

My company was hosting a series of meetings and banquets at their site and (although I cannot speak for the meeting planner who coordinated the contract or other advance details), from a guest perspective they helped each of our events run seamlessly. Even their catered banquet meals were a step above what I have typically/frequently found at other hotels.

I would look forward to the opportunity to return here.

Room Tip: I was particularly glad that I requested a view of Universal Studios. It was my 1st time seeing it a...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business