1,077 results
All reviewsstudio citypatio cafeuniversal studiosventura blvdpool barpool viewlarge poolhollywood historyfire pitfree shuttlestayed here for nightsminute drivela areabeverly hillsstarbuckssupermarketlodging
Reviewed 21 January 2013

The rooms are old. Not in a nice quaint way. The TV's have been out dated for quite some time. I called housekeeping for an extra blanket and never got it. And the beed was pure torture. It was so uncomfortable that we left early am because we could not take another minut in the bed. It could be a nice place but a lot of work must be done. Untile then it is pricey and Motel 6 quality on a good day.

Room Tip: Stay some where else
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2013

My brother and I went down to watch the Giants vs. Dodgers game in 2011. We LOVED this hotel! Yes it is old school, but I think that is part of their charm. The employees there were wonderful and helped us out with any questions we had as well as giving us suggestions about places to go and shuttle times. We had a room that led right out to the pool. It was a very clean and comfortable room. We sat by the pool for a while before the game. When the pool bar opened we were glad to see the prices were very reasonable. We were expecting the drinks to be A LOT more then they were. A beer was only $4, which coming from a city, is hard to find. We ended up getting a margarita and it was AMAZING! It didn't have that sweet and sour fake margarita taste a lot of places have. We had such a good time here, I would go back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the ground floor with a gate to the pool. So easy to go in and out of the room!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 January 2013

I've stayed at Sportsmen's Lodge several times over the past three years. It's definitely an older hotel, but in this case, that's a GOOD thing. The rooms are oversized, the staff has been there and understands that good service=good tips. They've recently started charging to park your car (just $11/night compared to $20-$40 elsewhere). The lobby exudes old Hollywood style, the large pool is gorgeous and has a few sun bathers and swimming families even in January.
The restaurant serves huge breakfasts, priced right.
The rooms aren't "posh" but the bed is comfortable with lots of pillows, rooms are always very clean. The in-room coffee pot, refrigerator, large balcony, etc. in the suites make them worthwhile.
The vibe of the place is laid back, no Hollywood "hustle you out the door" feeling. The location is very convenient.

Room Tip: Splurge for the suite and you get a large comfy couch and a ton of space.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We're back. The kids live around the corner and this is the closest hotel. No problem. We like it. Our room was roomy, clean and fairly quiet (although as someone pointed out, you can hear your neighbors through the bathroom vent). Our room this time was on the fifth floor facing the parking lot and the Los Angeles River. It was quiet. We ate in the Patio Cafe every morning, trying something different every morning. (No pool this time; it was overcoat weather all week long). Yes it is a bit shabby but it is clean (and that is what counts).

Dinner suggestion: Try Pagliacci's (at the corner of Moorpark and Coldwater Canyon, just 5 minutes from the hotel on foot). Home-made Italian. Delicious.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 January 2013

What I like BEST: The perfect location, the glorious pool, the delicious breakfast and the wonderful, wonderful staff in the cafe. Those ladies (& gents) make our stay. The clean & comfortable beds. Have to say that ALL the staff were fabulous! Very friendly & helpful.

What I like LEAST: The fact that they no longer have a gym, the new hefty charge for parking, the beer cans around the hot tub in the morning. No room service. The drone of vending/ice machines keeping me awake on the first night. (After that I wore ear plugs)

I don't mind the dated/drab decor - but I do think that the rooms could be styled way better without too much expense. Would make a big difference.

I love the Sportsmen's Lodge. I hope they keep what I like best and improve on what I like least. If so, I will always go back.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family