1,086 results
All reviews studio city patio cafe universal studios ventura blvd pool bar great pool pool view large pool hollywood history fire pit free shuttle stayed here for nights minute drive la area beverly hills starbucks supermarket
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Stayed for 3 days and my wife and I were gone most of the time. The beds were comfortable and the room clean which is what we wanted. There were some minor age issues - sliding balcony door didn't lock and was repaired; and toilet handle had to be jiggled to keep it from making loud noise. On the plus side there were many nice shade trees to park under and where we were on the backside of the property on the 3rd floor it was relatively quiet. My wife really enjoyed sitting out on the shady balcony and visiting with our niece. All in all a positive experience, and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: For quietness, get a room on the backside of the hotel and above the 1st level where the pool is located.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 June 2012

This hotel has so much potential, but...
First, the GOOD: My hotel room was clean and comfortable. Definitely outdated, but clean and comfortable. Kuddos to the cleaning staff. The location was great. Located right on Ventura Blvd, there were restaurants, a grocery store and a Starbucks within walking distance. The BAD: The public spaces of this hotel were just plain gross. The lobby smelled and it was obvious that they haven't used the lobby bar in quite some time. The hotel directs you to the tikki bar by the pool if you want a drink. The elevator was small and old, but I was OK with that. But, the hallways were dark, dingy and clearly haven't been renovated in at least 30 years. The diner also had potential, but only one person was on staff - the short order cook served as the waiter, chef and busboy. After seeing the diner's menu and pictures online, I was disappointed. I was just not comfortable eating there. This hotel needs Anthony Melchiorri of Hotel Impossible to rescue this historic landmark!!! So much potential.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Stayed for one week with a college trip!

On arrival this hotel was perfect, really homely and the reception area with couches and bar made you feel at home

the ROOMS were really nice!! 4 lads stayed in one room and there was enough room for all of us! The bed were really comfy and definately needed after a day of exploring LA! The bathroom was a great size and the bath was sometimes good for a relax! Also, the added benefit of a balcony made it great for socialising at night!

the LOCATION was ok. There were lots of places to eat at night but for exploring in the day we had to get a coach all the time, which was a little annoying! However, the starbucks across the road was perfect for the morning!

The FOOD was great and we got breakfast every morning! There was a great selection and both hot and cool buffet was served. We order room service on night and got pizzas, they were massive!! but worth every penny!

the POOL was fantastic as it was open at night along with the jacuzzi so we could all unwind and have a laugh. There were lots of beds as well so there was plenty on room for everyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a room up from the ground floor as the balconies looked a lot better than the terrace things that some people were given.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2012

If this hotel were cleaner and updated with relatively new room furniture, it could actually be kind of fun, if what you are looking for is an eccentric, retro hotel in LA. As is, the place feels like your weird uncle's, if he were a cheap, dirty, chain smoking swinger from the '60s.

We stayed at this place on our way to San Francisco from San Diego. All the other hotels in LA were booked at the time, likely because Obama was in town fundraising. What enticed me about the place was the pictures of the half-sized olympic pool with deck chairs around it. But, trust me, the pictures are misleading.

When my wife an I arrived, I was told that I wouldn't get a smoke-free room, because I had booked through a third party. Arguing was pointless, I soon discovered. The staff promised to provide an air purifier, but it never came.

The enticing pool was made useless by about 40 splashing teenagers, who must have been there as part of a school or church field trip. They wouldn't have bothered me, but my wife was really looking forward to relaxing poolside. Apparently the pool is open to the public as well, which doesn't surprise me.

What's most disappointing about this place is that, when it opened 50 years ago, it surely was a lot of fun. But it is in disrepair and poorly managed.The rooms are tired and unclean, at least ours was. The mattress was spongy, the furniture was nicked and scuffed on the edges, the carpet was worn and stained in spots, and the whole place wreaked.

It's the kind of place where as a guest you are forced to make tough decisions like whether to sleep in your clothes, because the room feels icky and would likely blow up if a blacklight were illuminated in it, and whether to leave your balconey door open, because you want to breathe freely but don't want to be robbed while you sleep. (See other reviews for stories about nocturnal theft and bedbugs.)

Do yourself a favor and skip this place, unless you want a colorful story about that time you stayed at the Sportsmen's Lodge in LA.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CraigOwen72
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This is my 3rd stay at S L. The staff (cafe, cleaning & front desk personnel) are always friendly and extremely helpful. The room was clean, the pool lovely. Previous stays have been in March, so this Memorial Day weekend's entertainment was not a surprise, but really loud mostly because my balcony was directly over the speaker. Next time, I'll inquire about that!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo